LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 knocking help. Video Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just start with the basics. If it ends up being a lifter, you can fix that and yes if your possitive it's the lifter replace them all and look at the push rods really good to make sure there straight. I will say this, my brother had a rod bearing go and it would stop knocking at above 1500rpms. I have never heard one stop at idle before but thats just my experiance. It may be hope and pray time that it is a lifter but if you don't find anything don't waist the money and throw parts at it. just pull it and build what you want at that point. even with the knock the crank and rod should still be ok as long as it has not wiped out the crank and rod journals. You have to pull it at that point and take it to a machine shop for them to spec it.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh thats an ugly sound...
Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the sound sometimes disappears as you feather the throttle (loading and unloading stress on the rod/piston), it is probably a rod bearing. A lifter is always under tension.

You should be able to "feel" a bad lifter by letting it idle and holding a long screwdriver to the pushrod end of the rocker. Lean on the screwdriver (so contact remains constant) as it rocks and sense how it feels.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
If the sound sometimes disappears as you feather the throttle (loading and unloading stress on the rod/piston), it is probably a rod bearing. A lifter is always under tension.

You should be able to "feel" a bad lifter by letting it idle and holding a long screwdriver to the pushrod end of the rocker. Lean on the screwdriver (so contact remains constant) as it rocks and sense how it feels.
Bad advice. This guy doesn't need to run this motor at all. He needs to start tearing it apart.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed, start taking things apart.

Not going to be a main making that noise, has to be something reciprocating like a rod or valvetrain.

Far as spun rod bearings knocking I have never seen number 2 spin, usually further back in the motor. So based on someone else saying always front and me seeing usually rear I would say it could be any one.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well what ever it turns out to be keep us posted it would be nice to know. I really don't think its a main it would sound different. My money is on a rod bearing, could be a lifter but i don't think u will be that lucky. Haha i never am anyways.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Bad advice. This guy doesn't need to run this motor at all. He needs to start tearing it apart.
LOL, the guy is already running it. A little more idling is not going to make much difference. Of course if it was me, I would already be taking it apart, because it sounds like a rod.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, at least we all agree that it has to come out and be rebuilt. Let us know which bearing is spun so the winner can brag about giving the best advice.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is ROD KNOCK, start buying parts for a rebuild or see if you can find a running shortblock to swap into your car.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Teching In

I agree with not running the motor anymore. If you do decide to start it I read that you can check the rod bearings by unplugging the fuel injectors one at a time and listen for a double tap instead of that constant thud. I've never personally tried it but it seems possible since you are taking the load or stress of that piston/rod.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shbox
LOL, the guy is already running it. A little more idling is not going to make much difference. Of course if it was me, I would already be taking it apart, because it sounds like a rod.
I have actually windowed an LT1 at idle that had PM rods in it.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Well guys, I had the motor pulled and i replaced it with a donor motor from a 94 z28 with 80k miles on it... The rod actualy hit my block so the motor was completely done for! I will try to get some pictures up later tonight for everyone to see. Thanks for the advice on everything i really appreciate everyone who followed this thread and posted to try and help me. Now you can laugh about being right I have $900 in the donor motor and $400 in the labor ( i did a few free custom laser and waterjet jobs for the engine guy) I don't think that's too bad considering he had to pull the donor motor, my old one, and put the new one back in and recharge the a/c and change plugs and oil ect. Anyone interested in a beautiful z28 with fresh paint, brand new rear end, built tranny, and fresh 80k engine? I have decided to pursue finding my dream car (77 t/a) and start working on it. I have no idea how much to ask for the car yet, any ideas? Also it won't let me post anything in the for sale section for some reason?? PM me or post back for more details. Thanks again to everyone!!

Quick Reply: LT1 knocking help. Video Inside!