LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alternator proplems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alternator proplems

Ok I know the deal about rebuilt alts so I'll get straight to the question.
Does anyone make a small case alternator to fit in the stock location? I live in florida so I need to keep the A/C. If not would grinding the case cause my current problems with remand alts going bad? I taped up every opening while griding it to fit in front of my GMPP center bolt aluminum valve covers so nothing got inside. My factory one was fine but the bearings were dry and shot (making noise). It wasn't untill after I tried going cheap and cored it for a reman that I found out there are bearing kits you can buy. It seems the regulators keep going bad on the remans, each time they have worked fine for a couple of days and as soon as I turn more than 4500rpms they kick out stop charging. The first one would start working again with in a few min. the second I saw kick out at 4500 and then I backed off the gas and it was fine untill I turned over 4500rpms and now it a big *** turd mounted to the engine.
Give me your thoughts on grinding the case. Do you think it could be causing the problems? I do have to grind down one of the small bolts that hold I think the regulator in to make it fit in the car. I have checked and the bolts are still there in place so it's not falling into the alt. I can post pics if needed I just need to let it cool down.
Also what are my options as far as a replacement? What has worked for you?
Is there a small case alt that can be used?
Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you grind down the case with it assembled? If it's a CS-144 they're easy to disassemble. There's even youtube videos on how to do it. Might have got some shavings in there with it having that big magnet and all. Are you saying it's not charging past 4500rpms? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the PCM shuts down charging at WOT. That may be what you're seeing. I'm very tired so there is a good chance I didn't fully comprehend the question.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

yea I taped off everything with when I grinded it down. I don't think much of anything got in there. It was really a big ball of tape when I grinded it so I could take it apart but I may just take it back and go a different rout. I just didn't know if anyone had ever figured out how to use a small case alt in the stock alt location or if someone makes one to go there. I also wanted to know if grinding the case down would cause this kind of problem.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not much help. The only option I can think of is using a Alt. relocation bracket but you want to keep A/C. The CS-144 is a big alt I know. A 12si might bolt in but you'll lose some amps.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

lol that alright man. That what I am looking for is the options as well