LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A multi faceted LT1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A multi faceted LT1 Thread

So, I just got my Vert out of the shop, with a completely rebuilt and beefed up transmission and a shift kit.
It drives so damn good now, even compared to when it was working before it went out.

During normal driving now It chirps the tires 1-2 shift.
I broke the trans mount earlier, I had replaced it about 6 months ago, kindof a routine for me.
I went to the auto store to get one and the kid said that doesn't sound normal.
Anyways, what do you other LT1 guys making obscene amounts of power do about that? Use a better rubber mount? Or use a poly mount? Or just deal with it as needed.

Secondly, my rear tires are just about gone, and I want to keep the stock salad shooters. Their size is 16"x8", what is the widest tire any of you would squeeze on the backs without feeling unsafe?

EDIT: I should also mention that the Optispark in the hardtop bit the dust in traffic today. So to the guys with experience, is it any easier to replace if you take off the front bumper and components?

Last edited by Johnny-LT1-runner; 04-10-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
So, I just got my Vert out of the shop, with a completely rebuilt and beefed up transmission and a shift kit.
It drives so damn good now, even compared to when it was working before it went out.

During normal driving now It chirps the tires 1-2 shift.
I broke the trans mount earlier, I had replaced it about 6 months ago, kindof a routine for me.
I went to the auto store to get one and the kid said that doesn't sound normal.
Anyways, what do you other LT1 guys making obscene amounts of power do about that? Use a better rubber mount? Or use a poly mount? Or just deal with it as needed.

Secondly, my rear tires are just about gone, and I want to keep the stock salad shooters. Their size is 16"x8", what is the widest tire any of you would squeeze on the backs without feeling unsafe?

EDIT: I should also mention that the Optispark in the hardtop bit the dust in traffic today. So to the guys with experience, is it any easier to replace if you take off the front bumper and components?
No dude the opti isn't that bad. First drain the radiator, then take off the air intake components. Next remove radiator fans, i like to do this from under the car. Next take off the serpentine belt. Remove the harmonic dampener. Just the pulley not the hub. You need a 5/8 socket to turn the hub into the correct position to remove the opti but don't need to take it off. You will need a puller to get the pulley off though. Disconnect all the hoses to the water pump. Get some rags handy cause you will get coolant everywhere. Remove the nut and bolt that hold on the air pump, and take out the six bolts holding on the water pump they are 9/16. the one bolt behind the power steering pump is a bit of a pain but i got it out without removing the ps pump. Yank off the water pump and you can handle it from there i would think. JUst dont loose the coupler that drives the water pump and check to make sure all the seals that are back there are in good shape. Its not really that bad in all honesty start to finish 3 hours is all it takes me and that is taking my sweet old time and trying to do things right the first time.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Launching!

One more thing i like to do is clean the water pump bolts up with a wire wheel on a drill or something and put rtv on the threads because coolant can leak out from them. And make sure to lock tite the rotor on your new opti!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an energy suspensions poly motor and trans mounts...they have around 8k hard mileage on them and are fine. My car is full boltons, small cam, and stall converter with a built transmission.

what the guy said before about the opti is correct, if you have a 93-94 lt1, the opti drive is splined and can only go in one way. the 95-97 lt1s have a dowel pin that can go in three slots in the cam, make sure you mark it when it comes out. You will also need a inverted torx for the opti..i think it is the e6 or e8 socket, they had it at autozone for a few bucks. Correct me if I am wrong, it is for all of the bolts including the distributor cover in order to loctite the rotor in the opti.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slingshot928
I have an energy suspensions poly motor and trans mounts...they have around 8k hard mileage on them and are fine. My car is full boltons, small cam, and stall converter with a built transmission.

what the guy said before about the opti is correct, if you have a 93-94 lt1, the opti drive is splined and can only go in one way. the 95-97 lt1s have a dowel pin that can go in three slots in the cam, make sure you mark it when it comes out. You will also need a inverted torx for the opti..i think it is the e6 or e8 socket, they had it at autozone for a few bucks. Correct me if I am wrong, it is for all of the bolts including the distributor cover in order to loctite the rotor in the opti.
Yes you will need the inverted torx to get a stock opti off. My car has a Msd unit witch has Philips screws that hold the cap on, and a regular t5 torx bit is needed to remove the two rotor screws. the 94 -97 opti has 3 slots that the dowel pin on the cam can fit into, but there is one slot that is a different shape than the other two. The one that is different is the correct hole for the dowel pin. It is very easy to tell.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Depending on the outside elements and how hard you are on your drivetrain completely dictates the life of your trans mount. If you introduce ample shock to the drivetrain then that will put a lot of stress on the components.

Keep the stock sized tires on those wheels. Much more effective footprint.

Take the fan shroud off to get to the opti. You'll have all the room you need.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Depending on the outside elements and how hard you are on your drivetrain completely dictates the life of your trans mount. If you introduce ample shock to the drivetrain then that will put a lot of stress on the components.

Keep the stock sized tires on those wheels. Much more effective footprint.

Take the fan shroud off to get to the opti. You'll have all the room you need.
Good point.

One last thing, does anyone else with a stock lt1 head unit know if they light up other than the clock, i.e. the buttons and white words on them? I know LS1 HU's do, but I haven't seen another LT1 stock HU for reference.