LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

could this cause a knocking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default could this cause a knocking noise?

Hey guys when tearing down my old motor I found that my number 4 exhaust pushrod had fallen out. I am still going to pull the oil pan off tomorrow when I get a chance. But when this happened It sounded like a rod knock. Would you guys say that this could be the cause of the noise or is there still a chance of a rod knock. I know we wont till we pull the oil pan. Oh and the cause of this was the rocker stud had backed itself out. Any tricks on keeping these locked in place?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats it for sure!!! I knew it sounded valve train related. Now find out why it came off.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Hey guys when tearing down my old motor I found that my number 4 exhaust pushrod had fallen out. I am still going to pull the oil pan off tomorrow when I get a chance. But when this happened It sounded like a rod knock. Would you guys say that this could be the cause of the noise or is there still a chance of a rod knock. I know we wont till we pull the oil pan. Oh and the cause of this was the rocker stud had backed itself out. Any tricks on keeping these locked in place?
Where was the push rod? I wouldn't pull the oil pan until I checked if that was the problem. Was it being 'hit'...

I would try to determine why it 'fell' off but put it back on idle for 30 seconds if noise gone then you won't have to pull pan....

You MIGHT have dodged a major bullet. Move slowly as posted determine why it came off, and fix what caused it to come off so it is not repeated.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

well, it could have been the start of the problem, i just called him and he found shavings in the oil pan so we are going to use that other block and get it back on the road
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

well pulled the oil pan off and found a nice amount of metal shavings in the oil pan. So time to swap in the 84k short block.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. That sucks but should be a easy and quick swap.