LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Windage issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Windage issue?

Got about 250 miles on the new 383. Got on it today noticed oil pressure dropped to 25psi! Heres what I got Milodon 30909 stoker pan. standard volume melling pump with the Milodon pick up. The pick up is set properly.

Oil pressure cold 50 psi
cruising 38 to 42 hot
hot idle 23psi

On a lite accel pressure slowly rises, under heavy accel drops to 25 and holds!
I had 7 qts in pan but it was not at full mark on my stock dip stick with stock tube.

I am using the windage tray that came with pan. And my pickup is bolted to pump.

Does this sound lika a windage or cavitation issue?

I did a search and saw some guys are dropping oil level to 6qts. I have 8 in it now to reach full and it did it with 7.

Sorry so long but kinda worried about new engine! It does run and sound great! Any Ideas?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Yikes... Your stock dipstick is not going to be accurate once you put an aftermarket pan in there. I would definitely take two quarts out and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

So drop it to 6 qts? At seven it read just above the add mark on stick
Old 04-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Exactly. No reason to worry. It is no longer accurate. DON'T THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

what filter are you running..look at the filter test i posted a couple days ago..if your using a fram then thats your problem probley..lol

as for your fill line once your put your 7qts in your 7qt pan then that was your new full fill mark....but seeing you have a 6qt pan then you should only have 6qts in it max..all your doing is causing a ton of windage with having 7 or 8 qts in a 6qt pan..drop it down to 6,remark your line and get a good filter..i like wix..but im about to try me royal purpels filter.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

I thought this was a 7 qt pan! But I see summit says it is a 6qt. Is that 6 total including filter? I am running an ac filter frams set to close to my headers.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

no that should be what the pan is built to hold..i always fill my filters before putting them on and then ad what my pan is..
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Ok I will drain it and start over with 6 plus a full filter. Hope it works!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASHOOTER
I thought this was a 7 qt pan! But I see summit says it is a 6qt. Is that 6 total including filter? I am running an ac filter frams set to close to my headers.
If you have not rerouted the dip stick and it goes in and follows the stock path then there is no reason it would not be accurate. Where a pan holds the fluid and how much has nothing to do with proper level its all about the level of the supply to the pickup and the volume at which the oil level has to stay in order for the pick up to not draw air into it due to low level. Basically all that **** was figured out by GM and if the pan or the windage tray do not change the stock path of the dip stick then why would it not be right? Have you put a mechanical on there to verify that your pressure is only 25 at hot idle. Hell that’s about all I run at hot idle. 10psi pre 1000. Those electrical senders are usually off by 10 or more from my experiences
Old 04-29-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ if your pan is 1/2 or more deeper or has kick outs it dont matter if your stock dip stick follows the same path or not..fact is it will be wrong!

hes running a standerd pump,with the right pick up and set up right..he aint sucking that pan dry i can tell you that right now..
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Auto meter mech gauge
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaycenk
If you have not rerouted the dip stick and it goes in and follows the stock path then there is no reason it would not be accurate. Where a pan holds the fluid and how much has nothing to do with proper level its all about the level of the supply to the pickup and the volume at which the oil level has to stay in order for the pick up to not draw air into it due to low level. Basically all that **** was figured out by GM and if the pan or the windage tray do not change the stock path of the dip stick then why would it not be right? Have you put a mechanical on there to verify that your pressure is only 25 at hot idle. Hell that’s about all I run at hot idle. 10psi pre 1000. Those electrical senders are usually off by 10 or more from my experiences
8 qts brings me to full mark. Stock tube and dip stick
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
^ if your pan is 1/2 or more deeper or has kick outs it dont matter if your stock dip stick follows the same path or not..fact is it will be wrong!

hes running a standerd pump,with the right pick up and set up right..he aint sucking that pan dry i can tell you that right now..
How? It is the dip stick going in from top to bottom that will tell you when it's to full and at risk of submerging the internals. The size of the stroke has more to do with it than the pan. Even if the pan went all the way to the pavment and so did the pickup tube it will not matter if you use 37 quarts to fill it as long as the rotating parts are not at risk of kicking the oil up.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FASHOOTER
8 qts brings me to full mark. Stock tube and dip stick
You have a quarter inch longer stroke in it so I would measure down anbout a half to 3/4 inch on the dip stick and mark the dip stick. Then lower to that level and run it and see how it goes. Do you have a scraper and a windage tray in there?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

How? It is the dip stick going in from top to bottom that will tell you when it's to full and at risk of submerging the internals. The size of the stroke has more to do with it than the pan. Even if the pan went all the way to the pavment and so did the pickup tube it will not matter if you use 37 quarts to fill it as long as the rotating parts are not at risk of kicking the oil up.
pretty easy your changing the length of your pan and using the pickup ment for that pan..there for nothing is right..trust me your dip stick full mark will not be correct..

hes putting 7 an 8 qts in a pan designed for 6qt..do you really think hes not sumbmerging his windage tray and putting his crank an rods in oil also..
Old 04-30-2010, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Called Milodon today 6 qts plus what ever you filter holds. They said to ignore your stock dipstick do not fill it to full. Changed oil huge difference!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with this statement and don't know what the difference would be if the pan holds more oil .... the dipstick measures the oil level from the top..
Old 05-02-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the org posted changed the pan so there was no way the dip stick was right like jaycenk was first stating...i been talking to the op..hes running 5.5 qt in his pain and the oil pressure is steady and all issues are gone..he tried 6 and still had windage going on,on hard long throttling..but all is good now he told me today.

the diff is the after market pans are not the same size or dimensions as a gm plate which then throws off any markings..

Quick Reply: Windage issue?