LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I'm so close, one more issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm so close, one more issue.

So as some of you may know I set out to build a 6.0 forged LT1 in april of 09' after my stock lt1 lost oil pressure. I got the motor built and installed and running in october of 09' however since then ive been chasing down tiny problems left and right. Finally I have the car running good and on the road and I have one problem thats just bugging the **** out of me and I cant solve it. The car runs PERFECT when cold and after going into closed loop but when it gets to between 185-190 degrees It wont idle any more, either it will drift up to about 2k rpms and then slowly decline back to 800-1k or it will not idle at all unless I hold the pedal at 1% or more. Last night I drove the car about 10 miles, half way through the trip at a stop sign it went up to 2k rpms at idle and then settled back down. I drove maybe 1 more mile to my friends house shut the car off came back about 30 min's later and it started up and idled fine but when I left it wouldn't idle at all anymore. Even this morning in my driveway i just started it and let it idle untill warm, when it got around 190 I backed it up maybe 50 feet and it would no longer idle when I stopped, start the car back up and no idle. Let it cool and it idle's perfect. My codes right now are 1641, 1642, and 1657 which I was told is fan relays 1-2 (which are non existant) and skipshift which is obviously deleted.

Has anyone had a problem like this, Is it possible I need a bigger TB for the 20 extra cubes?

thanks guys i'm dieing to drive the car more.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

tb size is fine. i would double check tps and iac. and check for vacuum leaks start with the small things first
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

^^^

with the assumption there are no tune issues or vacumn leaks:

you need a scan tool to see what the IAC counts are. I suspect they are off and the IAC has reached its max in trying to keep the idle right after warm up. Not a uncommon problem after heads/cam builds with higher idle RPM's.

The IAC counts want to be 25-35 (32) after warm up with no AC on.

Scan first to confirm what they are but suspect them to be high. You could just crack (maybe 1/4 turn) of TB stop screw but that can screw up TPS volts which some fix by sloting TPS screw holes to slide it over some.

Better fix IMHO is to drill the small center hole between blades 1/64" bigger. DO NOT do this without first scaning the car to confirm what IAC counts are and also by checking TPS volts (.67 vdc closed & 4.5 vdc full open).

the stock hole is 1/8" and the SLIGHTEST size increase makes quite a difference in IAC readings so take BABY steps if drilling it (remove TB from car)
Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Launching!

how about a bad Eng. Sensor fuse? I never knew that the reverse lockout was connected to that also? fixed all my problems now i can actually back up, and when I stop the car doesn't die and my skipshift code is gone, twas a good day for only costing $.50 haha, thanks for the help guys, car runs amazing now.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear you fixed your problem. Have you had it dyno tuned? Or still running on a base tune?

Have any vids of it?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Launching!

still running on a trifecta mail order tune. I have a few more things I need to fix before bringing it to the dyno (header leak, coolant leak out of home made steam crossover etc) but it runs damn good. Im not really expecting big numbers being that its on port matched stock heads and low compression with the xfi280 which needs more air and higher comp. But its getting boost next so that should solve that problem

I can take an idle vid if you want? it sounds pretty nasty at idle
Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Sure, that'd work. I bet it sounds good, with LT's and LM1 on there
Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trick450r, can you give us some input on what you did to fix your car. I seem to be having the same problem. Did you not have your reverse lockout wire hooked up?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pro94lt
Trick450r, can you give us some input on what you did to fix your car. I seem to be having the same problem. Did you not have your reverse lockout wire hooked up?

just a blown fuse, look in the under hood box, on the drivers side fender well. On the passenger side (of the box) their should be 4 fuses lined up, its the second one from the front. 20A fuse and I believe it runs: o2 heater circuits, 2-3 gear lockout circuit (skipshift), reverse lockout circuit, maf control and Automatic park lockout (for auto's) And maybe it runs one other thing also. So if you have skipshift code PO1657 like I did and your car wont idle sometimes and you have to wedge your back against the door to get your car in reverse then change that fuse and have a nice day lol.

Quick Reply: I'm so close, one more issue.