LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car runs like crap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcl_96ta
i am out of ideas so maybe you all will have some. Car is a 96 ta. It is very hard to start when you first get in and wont idle very well once it does start. After it warms up it runs smoother and idles pretty good, but when i get it on the road it starts cutting in and out. Has some sort of miss to it i guess you would say. I have changed the plugs wires and opti, which made a big improvement, but its still not right. I have also recently changed the fuel filter.the engine isn't making any bad noises or anything so i don't think its anything internal. Any ideas where to look next ?
im guestimating but i have the same issue with my eclipse,come to find out its the valve seal,or retainers are cracked...heres what the machanic told me either the retainers or seal is cracked allowing oil into combustin which makes for either cylinder not working or half *** working!DONT KNOW IF THAT THEARY WORKS FOR YOU BUT IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.ITS POSSIBLE
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel pump ??? what fuel pressure are you getting to the rail ? sounds similar to my dads caprice that was having similar problems. new fuel pump solved everything
Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
fuel pump ??? what fuel pressure are you getting to the rail ? sounds similar to my dads caprice that was having similar problems. new fuel pump solved everything
I have been meaning to check the fuel pressure, but i got to wait tile Friday to get a pressure gauge, spent all my money on parts that didn't fix the car. For now i am going to triple check the firing order. Maybe somehow i f*ed it up.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
I have been meaning to check the fuel pressure, but i got to wait tile Friday to get a pressure gauge, spent all my money on parts that didn't fix the car. For now i am going to triple check the firing order. Maybe somehow i f*ed it up.
ive done that **** before. spend a **** load on it and it didnt fix it.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Well the firing order is all good. I found a small tear in the rubber intake tube so i fixed that it is running a little better, but now it is shooting coolant all over the place...
Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Got some new codes p0400,p0300, and p0171. Bank one lean, egr system fault, and random misfire. Could i have a clogged cat?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

buy a haynes manual.
the icm's are make/model specific! one from a random *** vehicle in a junk yard is prob junk!
first and formost, check the fuel pressure!
And you dont want coolant shooting every where!that will ruin the opti! you can buy a gauge on ebay that will mount on the rail and you will always know what your fuel pressure is for about $30!
check the injectors for proper readings!
check the coolant temp sensor for proper readings!
i'll start the bidding @ a thou (1000)!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, the junk yard ICM may very well be bad. Most parts stores should be able to test them for you. Also make sure to apply thermal compound to the back of the ICM and heatsink for better heat disruption or the new one will fry in no time.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Spark plugs? Whether your plug wires are new or not, could one be leaning against a header causing the wire to melt and misfire?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
buy a haynes manual.
the icm's are make/model specific! one from a random *** vehicle in a junk yard is prob junk!
first and formost, check the fuel pressure!
And you dont want coolant shooting every where!that will ruin the opti! you can buy a gauge on ebay that will mount on the rail and you will always know what your fuel pressure is for about $30!
check the injectors for proper readings!
check the coolant temp sensor for proper readings!
i'll start the bidding @ a thou (1000)!
I have 2 Haynes manuals one came with the car when i bought it, and the other i bought when i had my 96 formula. If i had a fuel pressure gauge i would have checked it by now. It is going to my buddy's shop today to check out the fuel system. The coolant was coming out of the radiator cap, i didn't twist is on completely. Luckily it was no where near the opti!

FYI All a ICM does is read a signal from the pickup coil or(Hall effect sensor in the distributor), and provides a ground for the coil enabling it to create spark. The pickup is what controls when the ICM provides ground for the coil NOT the ICM itself. If they were different the part number would be different, call your local part store and tell them to cross reference the ICM for a 96 Blazer with a 4.3, to a 96 Trans AM, they will give u the same part with the same number.

Quick Reply: Car runs like crap.