LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Recommend me a tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a tune

Whats going on guys, i'm about to pick up a CC503 and some valvetrain components. My car is a 93' - can you guys recommend me a good mailorder tuner? Would a dynotune make that much different for a cam only car, or would a mailorder be sufficient?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Madz can do prom tunes
Old 05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nik1703
Whats going on guys, i'm about to pick up a CC503 and some valvetrain components. My car is a 93' - can you guys recommend me a good mailorder tuner? Would a dynotune make that much different for a cam only car, or would a mailorder be sufficient?

Thanks!
Do you have the ALDL Cable and Laptop that will load the tune on?
That was my biggest issue with getting my car tuned, I couldn't get my serial ALDL Cable, old crap-tastic laptop, and Tuner CATS to talk to each other.

Bryan Herter from PCMforless did the tune, once I finally got it loaded, the car ran pretty well. I ended up scapping the mailorder tune for a dyno tune, worlds different. If you have a local tuner/dyno available, I would definitely go that route. Mail order tunes are within the realm of being close at best, the dyno tune is much more accurate and vehicle specific.

Plus, unless you have a wideband on your car, you have no idea how it is doing. It would be best to make sure the new tune and a/f are right where they need to be.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
Do you have the ALDL Cable and Laptop that will load the tune on?
That was my biggest issue with getting my car tuned, I couldn't get my serial ALDL Cable, old crap-tastic laptop, and Tuner CATS to talk to each other.

Bryan Herter from PCMforless did the tune, once I finally got it loaded, the car ran pretty well. I ended up scapping the mailorder tune for a dyno tune, worlds different. If you have a local tuner/dyno available, I would definitely go that route. Mail order tunes are within the realm of being close at best, the dyno tune is much more accurate and vehicle specific.

Plus, unless you have a wideband on your car, you have no idea how it is doing. It would be best to make sure the new tune and a/f are right where they need to be.
I know a dyno tune would be best - i'm just not willing to shell out 500 bucks for one... vs 50 bucks for the mailorder. However, I just read this on Madz28:

NOTE: For internally modified cars (other than "bolt-on" only), this is intended as a baseline tune. Chip burner, datalogging cable and laptop REQUIRED for fine-tuning. Depending on the complexity of modifications, additional charges may apply to cover fine-tuning. If in doubt, inquire first!
It's just a CC503 though, I'm not modifying the heads or anything. I dunno.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nik1703
I know a dyno tune would be best - i'm just not willing to shell out 500 bucks for one... vs 50 bucks for the mailorder. However, I just read this on Madz28:

It's just a CC503 though, I'm not modifying the heads or anything. I dunno.
"Just a CC503."
But you also have a crap-ton of other variables that affect the tune, not even mentioning the health of the engine, and all of the other quirks that come along with it.

Pick up a laptop/cable and make sure that you are able to datalog. Once you have confirmed that you can datalog, then talk to a remote tuner to see if you can work out a deal for getting it dialed in a little better. "Off The Shelf" tunes (basically a generic tune for XXX Setup) are a "ballpark estimate" at best. So we've sort-of gone full circle. Get a wide band. Make sure you can datalog. Talk to Ion, and see what he can do.

You should really be talking to the tuner your choose, they are probably the one you'll need opinions recommendations on tuning/logging hardware/software.

Just do some research and talk to some site sponsors.
Jeremy Formato at FasterProms offers mailorder tuning.
Bryan Herter at PCMforLess offers mailorder tuning.
As you know, Ion at MadZ28 offers mailorder tuning as well.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Teching In

You could also check out lt1pcmtuning.com
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

what i did was i took my car to a dyno shop and just had them tune it without it being on the dyno. way cheaper and they did a great job, it would be the same as a mailorder tune but the tuner can verify how the car runs before it leaves the shop.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
"Just a CC503."
But you also have a crap-ton of other variables that affect the tune, not even mentioning the health of the engine, and all of the other quirks that come along with it.

Pick up a laptop/cable and make sure that you are able to datalog. Once you have confirmed that you can datalog, then talk to a remote tuner to see if you can work out a deal for getting it dialed in a little better. "Off The Shelf" tunes (basically a generic tune for XXX Setup) are a "ballpark estimate" at best. So we've sort-of gone full circle. Get a wide band. Make sure you can datalog. Talk to Ion, and see what he can do.

You should really be talking to the tuner your choose, they are probably the one you'll need opinions recommendations on tuning/logging hardware/software.

Just do some research and talk to some site sponsors.
Jeremy Formato at FasterProms offers mailorder tuning.
Bryan Herter at PCMforLess offers mailorder tuning.
As you know, Ion at MadZ28 offers mailorder tuning as well.

Cool man, thanks for the info. I talked to Ion at MadZ28.. his words were that a mailorder would be "more that sufficient" unless i have different size injectors - which i dont.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dirtynorth
what i did was i took my car to a dyno shop and just had them tune it without it being on the dyno. way cheaper and they did a great job, it would be the same as a mailorder tune but the tuner can verify how the car runs before it leaves the shop.

interesting, didn't know they could do that on the spot.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with Ion, Madwolf. I have pcm4less but I have heard bad stuff about Bryan.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slomarao
I would go with Ion, Madwolf. I have pcm4less but I have heard bad stuff about Bryan.
Bryan doesn't do the ECM tuning, Alvin does.