LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

coil per cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Not sure Delteq is still in business. No one has seemed to be able to get tech support from them in ages.
I was under the same assumption.. didn't the guy have allot of medical problems arise?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the complete efi connections 24x kit with the custom engine harness, billet timing cover, LSx computer and LS2 coils going in with my fresh engine.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your up for it you could Junk yard shop and pick up a bunch of the pieces though and maybe even do your own harness saving some loot and go with the EFI connection setup. Moving to the LSx computer would be such an improvement
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Its not starting again after wet sanding and buffing the intake and alternator and AC compressor. I guess I'll be tearing it apart this weekend. Is there a way I can test to see if its the cap and rotor that failed or the optical pickup
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the LTCC system on my LT1. I was very happy with it. While I don’t think it added power, it did seem to run better especially up in the higher RPM’s. Overall, the car was flat out more responsive at any speed or throttle opening. Something about eight coils having more time to saturate between firings than one coil for all.

Aside from a bit of basic splicing work around the stock coil location, the LTCC system is plug and play but you will need to fab some way to hold the coils.

Like others, if I was doing this today, I’d move to the EFX Connection LS1 PCM system in a heartbeat.

The MSD LS1 replacement coils have had a poor track record, many have posted problems with them and no better performance over stock.

I also had the MSD distributer and it also worked well, I was happy with it’s performance. However, some have posted issues with them which I think only affected their early shipments of them.

I think Deltec is no more.

I still have a Deltec blank cap if anybody’s interested.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default I have the LTCC and it works flawless

My car sat for 5 years with a blown tranny, last summer I decided to restore it. I had nothing but intermittent ignition before anyone knew optisparks sucked (1996), especially when you have and MSD connected to them. My car would run fine one run then sputter and break up 5 minutes later. You never knew what you were gonna get when you mashed the pedal. Anyway when I restored I bought an new MSD opti off ebay for $300.00 and threw out the rotor and sealed the plug connectors with silicone. I bought the LTCC and 8 used coils off ebay. I made fuel rail covers out of aluminum that hold the coils. The install was easy and came out really clean. My car has never run this good and has not had an ignition miss/sputter/backfire yet supercharged with 8-10 pounds of boost. I'm a big fan of the setup.

A

Last edited by wayneg1035; 06-03-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added SIG
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Hey Wayne, when you took off the rotor, did you put the screws back in? The rotor screws secure the opti wheel and the screws without the rotor are too long and will hit stuff behind.

Without the screws, the wheel will stay in place but flop around loosly.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

BTW, purdy engine there, I'm liking the colors!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, good looking setup. Gives me ideas for when I go LSx ignition on how to mount the coils. I wonder if stock length ls plug wires would reach that far...
Old 06-04-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gregrob
I agree, good looking setup. Gives me ideas for when I go LSx ignition on how to mount the coils. I wonder if stock length ls plug wires would reach that far...
No they will not reach. The stock lsx wires are designed to fit from the valve cover mounts. I had to get a set of the "cut to fit" wires and make my own. My coils are in the same location.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know
Old 06-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wayneg1035
My car sat for 5 years with a blown tranny, last summer I decided to restore it. I had nothing but intermittent ignition before anyone knew optisparks sucked (1996), especially when you have and MSD connected to them. My car would run fine one run then sputter and break up 5 minutes later. You never knew what you were gonna get when you mashed the pedal. Anyway when I restored I bought an new MSD opti off ebay for $300.00 and threw out the rotor and sealed the plug connectors with silicone. I bought the LTCC and 8 used coils off ebay. I made fuel rail covers out of aluminum that hold the coils. The install was easy and came out really clean. My car has never run this good and has not had an ignition miss/sputter/backfire yet supercharged with 8-10 pounds of boost. I'm a big fan of the setup.

A
Do u have problems with the LTCC burning up the LS1 coils.... I heard this can happen. I am making the motions of piecing together one of these setups... your setup is the cleanest I have yet to see
Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

I found out my optispark wasn't bad... it was my coil wire that was junk
Old 06-06-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by illusions
I have the LTCC and if I had to do it all over again i would seriously go with the EFI connections 24x conversion and run the LSx computer. The price would be about the same between the LTCC and the EFI once you factor in the harness and brackets for the coil packs. The EFI conversion pkg eliminates the opti all together. It's the only true opti-elimination option.

with the EFi system you will also be able to use the lsx tuning software so you will be able to find someone to custom tune it easier than trying to locate a lt1 custom tuner.
I am in 100% agreement about it being a better system, but the price will not be the same. It takes a little more $$$$ but is worth it to get rid of the opti completely. If you do your own harness conversion, it will be closer in price.

Last edited by 97LT1; 06-06-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by vettezilla
Do u have problems with the LTCC burning up the LS1 coils....
I think I ran with the LS1 coils about six months without any issues.

I then upgraded to LS2 coils. Still ran good, no coil issues.

I then upgraded to LS2 truck coils with the heat sinks on the back after seeing what they do on Megasquirt. WOWZERS, did that ever make a difference! The engine was a whole different (much bigger) animal! HOWEVER, the engine pinged at lower speeds pretty badly. I started looking into changing the dwell and timing curves in the PCM and took them out and shelved the coils until I had a programming fix. It was around that time I starting having valve spring issues and a loose valve bouncing around in it’s cylinder so the car got parted out which led me down the LS1 car path.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EFI 24X is a little too expensive right now so I'm thinking about going with the LTCC (and I can use the same coils if I decide to go with the EFI at a later date, right?). A few comments are that the LTCC still uses the optical pickup, but is that a big deal? Is the optical pickup the part that typcially goes bad due to water on the opti, or is it something else? I'm looking more for reliability than performance.

Second question: I noticed LS1 coils are more expensive on eBay that other "LS" coils. Do I have to use specific LS1 coils, or will other GM "LS" type coils work just as well?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Yes, the optical pickup and wheel is still used to control the PCM. The LTCC system gets it's signals fromn the PCM.

The good thing about this system is that the high voltage is taken out of the opti-spark distributor.

LS1 and LS6 coils have a specific plug & pin arrangement. All other coils (LS2, 3, 4, 7, LQ4, LQ9, etc...) have a different plug & pinout.

I believe you can request the LTCC kit with LS2 style coil plugs.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I have pieced together a LTCC kit my self for just at or around $600 and in comparison to the 24x EFI setup, the LTCC still came out cheaper for my 96 Impala. I want to go the 24X EFI route but just can't afford it all right now. I have the truck LS1 style coil packs but also have a set of LS2 Truck coils (D585) but was told that they won't work from Bob Bailey. How could I make these work?

Sorry for the threadjack!

Hil
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

sorry to bring up a old thread but paul i just bought the ltcc bailey ls1 coil kit for my s10 it came with a dynaspark opti coils the computer and wires. i paid 330 for it all. i have a set of coils that came off what i was told was a 5.3 ls1 truck motor. they do have the little heat sinks on the back of them. i was told they will not work with the bailey system i have... are the coils your talking about the same ones that i have? it comes with new ls1 coils but if the i have the same coils that you are talking about ill run them instead. only bad thing is i cant use the dynaspark with out swapping out cams and all that good stuff on account of mine being a 93 lt1 and the opti is a a 96
Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Getting the Dynaspark distributor is a good idea as it’s better than the original. The reason the truck coils with the heat sinks won’t work is there’s something about the timing that’s off. You’ll have heavy pinging. Also, the plug won’t match and the pin-out is different.

You’ll need to use any coil except the truck coils with the heat sinks.

Quick Reply: coil per cylinder?