LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Burning Lots Of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Burning Lots Of Oil

I've been tracking down an oil leak and I ended up removing my intake. In doing so I see oil soaked runners/head ports. The inside of the intake is also soaked.

The oil is coming from the pcv valve in the passenger side valve cover. The one that has a hose running to the throttle body. Obviously the Canton valve covers do not have a baffle/breather inside like stock covers and a regualr pcv valve must be installed to prevent the oil from being sucked into the engine.

I was wondering how bad this hurt the performance of the engine? I ran 11.92 @ 111mph a few weeks ago. Was wondering if I will see a big improvement next time out after I fix this.

Also, was wondering if I should thoroughly clean the inside of the intake and the heads? Or will they be washed clean after driving some?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There should not be a PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover. That tube is only to supply fresh air to the positive side of the PCV system on the driver side of the intake manifold. By installing a PCV valve, you are inhibiting the factory PCV system's ability to vent crankcase gases due to the lack of negative vacuum. Fresh air is pulled in from the throttle body, through the tube, and into the valve cover. This volume of air displaces the same amount of crankcase gas through the PCV system.

If you are worried about oil in the throttle body, I suggest a catch-can setup.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm....

I did not know this. I was simply wanting to stop the flow of oil into the engine.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to know what your mods and weight are that you ran 11.92 @ 111 ?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

K guys so how do I rig up a catch can? Help me out some, please.

The threads I have found are for catch cans on the driver side. Oil comes through the passenger side valve cover and into tge throttle body at wot on mine. So do I need to put a catch can on both sides?

Quick Reply: LT1 Burning Lots Of Oil