LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Problem with plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010 | 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with plugs?

Last year put together a 383 le lt4, and ran it about 4500 miles and it used quite a bit of oil and come to find out, rings never seated. I have my ideas why. So this winter, I put new bearings in it, new rings, gaskets and had it honed again. Put tr6 plugs in it, pcm4less tune and broke the motor in good. Now I have 550 miles on it, changed the oil (it was black), and wanted to run a bigger shot of nitrous to it so pulled my plugs to go to br7ef's and the plugs are wet(all 8). Not sure 100% if its oil or fuel or both.. Its on the plugs and threads of the plug. I know the car runs alittle rich, I contacted pcm4less and he assured the tune was good. Car does not smoke either. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-16-2010 | 01:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a mail order tune is for driving the car to the dyno to get a real tune so you can break the motor in. this is hard to diagnose with the info you've given, if you dont have the ability to discern if its oil or fuel on the plugs then.................
Old 06-16-2010 | 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

I had a few people check the plugs, they say fuel. So im taking there word for it. And Bryan at pcm4less didnt say anything about it being just good enough to make it to a dyno.
Old 06-17-2010 | 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meen95z
I had a few people check the plugs, they say fuel. So im taking there word for it. And Bryan at pcm4less didnt say anything about it being just good enough to make it to a dyno.
Why would he? Thats his buisness. If he only claims that then it's cheaper to have it towed to a dyno and have them tune it. They can get close but with out having a wide band O2 on it and some other data logging or real time info from the pcm then it's a shot in the dark because everyones set up is a little different even if they use the same bottom end, heads and cam. What size and make injectors as well as what tb and what exhaust you have changes everything. I just had a similar problem with my 383 with LE heads and cam. I started to have a little miss above 3500 and I changed the plugs and it runs great again. I am looking at several things though. I am running a stock 100k mile ignition modual and coil so the coil could be a little weak and causeing the slightly rich tune to cause the plugs to go bad. I am going to check the others first and work my way to a good dyno tune.
Old 06-17-2010 | 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Dude, you say it isn't smoking yet the plugs are black. Step on the gas hard, you should see dark smoke coming form the pipes. How do the inside of the exhaust pipes look? Let me guess, big-time charred black powder.

The pcmforless tune will be adequate and light years better than running a stock tune but have someone local take a look at it, where they can throw a wide band on it.
Old 06-17-2010 | 06:10 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

you need to get it on the dyno before you kill your pistons with an extra rich nitrous shot.
Old 06-18-2010 | 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

I ran it on motor about 4 different times and pulled the plugs, they look wet and smelled like fuel. I have Lt1 Edit and started taking fuel away each pass and got it alot better, but still light black coating on them. Nothing like before though. Im trying to find someone local to take a look at it now or borrow a wide band for a day. It does pour black smoke when you get it on initially and exhaust has soot in it.

Quick Reply: Problem with plugs?