LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some dumb questions

History:
I have owned a 97 Firehawk for the past 7-8 years. My father owned it for three years before I purchased it from him. About a year before I purchased the Hawk he blew the motor in the car. Was not his fault, there was a defect of some sort which I do not remember because it was so long ago. He was very meticulous with the Hawk and took extremely good care of it. The warranty company ended up paying for a motor and the swap to be done at a Pontiac dealership. The motor came from a 97 Z28 with about 15,000 miles less on it then the previous motor. That kind of made up for all the trouble he had to go through with the warranty company but that is a whole another story on it's own. The person who installed the motor was a fellow gear head who had his own fbody that had some pretty serious mods so he knew what he was doing and knew the car. When the tech installed the motor he said he noticed machine shop stampings on the block and the heads. But that was that and he didn't say much about it. When my dad finally got the car back he could not believe the difference in the amount of power the car had compared to the old motor. You could definitely feel it. He said the new motor could do things the other never could.

So my Question is:
What do you think could possibly have been done? It couldn't have been anything to crazy right? Or else the computer would be going bananas? I don't know. The only time the check engine light has ever come on was the beginning of this year I got a trouble code for bank two O2, which I still need to replace. I have had it hooked up a couple of times to scanners from mechanics and the car seemed to be operating in range. So if anyone has any ideas please chime in, I have been pondering this for quite some years now.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Without tearing down the motor there's no real way to know, it could have an lt4 cam and ported stock heads which wouldn't throw the computer off. or it could just be a factory freak hahaha
Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackBird87
Without tearing down the motor there's no real way to know, it could have an lt4 cam and ported stock heads which wouldn't throw the computer off. or it could just be a factory freak hahaha
I like that
"Factory Freak"

Quick Reply: Some dumb questions