Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Z28 Throwing codes

Alright my '96 Z28 is throwing these 5 codes,

1. P0100. MAF or VAF Circuit Failure.

2. P0300. Random Misfire.

3. P0441 EVAP Control Bad Purge Flow.

4. P0443 EVAP Purge Control Valve

5. P1642 Fc Relay (2) and Relay (3) Control Circuit

This is as the mechanic wrote it. Does Number 1 mean the MAF is bad or just the wiring? Any way to test it other than just switching it out?

Number 2 is due to fouled plugs I'm guessing due to running extremely rich which would be due to the bad MAF I'm guessing? If I'm sitting at a stop sign with the windows down you can really smell the fumes.

3 and 4 are vacuum related correct? I have one vacuum tube disconnected on the passenger side of the intake and one over by the ABS/Intake area. Would those be the correct causes? Either way I'll be figuring out where they go and hooking them back up.

Number 5 is the Fan relays correct? It did over heat a tad after messing around alittle but other than that it runs good. You can hear them turn on when I turn the ignition to the "On" position after I've been driving it.

Just want to verify what I was told so I know I'm heading in the right direction and so I'm not throwing parts at it or if there are other things that could cause it to throw these codes.

For what it's worth the car has a BBK Throttle Body, Edelbrock Shorty Headers, MSD Ignition and Moroso CAI. Could have a aftermarket MAF but I'm pretty sure it's the stock one as it came with a Granatelli MAF uninstalled. From what I've read the stock MAF's are the best though.

Last edited by oChristiano; 06-29-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

3 & 4: evap purge valve on the pass. side. One attaches to manifold vacuum on the throttle body and the other goes to the cannister. For reference:

http://www.shbox.com/1/1996_evap.jpg

take a pic of the loose line on the driver's side...

5: Check your fan relays/ wiring

1: a) Check engine sensor fuse (20A), b) check for 12V on pink wire with key on/engine off, c) if you have headers check the heat tape-wrapped part of the engine harness by the pass. side primaries to make sure they're not cooked. If they are, splice in some extra length so you can keep it out of the way and re-wrap with heat tape.

See how far you get...
Old 06-30-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

^That diagram is a life saver. Makes life alot easier. Thanks for the info. I hate non car people who try to work on their cars and mickey mouse ****. Having to fix all the previous owners mistakes.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Okay so Number 11 in that diagram was completely missing. Replaced it and got it all sorted out. On too the next one.

I have this piece below, no idea what it is or what it does. I found the connection for it over by the ABS/Airbox. Any one know what it is? Just spent the last 2 hours at the local Chevy dealer to no avail. Need to figure out the hoses that attach to it.

Not the best pictures so bear with me.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

^No one has any clue what that piece could be?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pulse AIR injection system solenoid!

Has the AIR injection system been deleted? (Tubes going into the headers/exhaust manifolds, plastic housing pump- on left side just aft of the waterpump, metal crossover tube going under by the oil pan & steering rack)
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rubber elbow goes to the intake (vacuum), the one next to it goes to a hose on the AIR pump. The solenoid should sit with the cap facing straight up, connector and fittings facing front of car...

Edit: location is just behind the water pump, left side- not on the intake itself. You're possibly missing a piece of vacuum line. Didn't want to give the impression that you were to attach it directly to the intake nipple.

Last edited by Gojira94; 07-01-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Pulse AIR injection system solenoid!

Has the AIR injection system been deleted? (Tubes going into the headers/exhaust manifolds, plastic housing pump- on left side just aft of the waterpump, metal crossover tube going under by the oil pan & steering rack)
No it has not been deleted everything you mentioned is still there.
Originally Posted by Gojira94
Rubber elbow goes to the intake (vacuum), the one next to it goes to a hose on the AIR pump. The solenoid should sit with the cap facing straight up, connector and fittings facing front of car...

Edit: location is just behind the water pump, left side- not on the intake itself. You're possibly missing a piece of vacuum line. Didn't want to give the impression that you were to attach it directly to the intake nipple.
I've got a couple extra pieces of vacuum line I picked up at the junkyard. Thanks for the help! I greatly appreciate it! Could this be the solution to any of the problems I posted? What would be the negative effects of it being disconnected?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Wouldn't happen to have a diagram or a picture would you? I'm alittle lost and Chevy dealer didn't have the diagrams for any of the AIR system.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's one from a site built & maintained by a member (bookmark shbox.com and read EVERYTHING).

http://shbox.com/1/air_pump_recall.jpg

Quick Reply: '96 Z28 Throwing codes