LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

school me on Opti's please..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default school me on Opti's please..

I have just got back into LT1's after getting rid of my '97 Z in '03. I've never had an opti issue with that car (sold it with 90k).Having never had Opti issues, I'm not sure what the symptoms of an Opti going out are. I just picked up a '95 T/A. I knew it could possibly have an opti/ignition issue when I bought it. It would stumble real bad below 2000rpm, but clear up and run fine above that. Now, after a fuel sending gauge replacement, it wont start.
I have 42psi on the fuel pressure gauge, but no spark at all on multiple plug wires. I started with the easy stuff. I had autozone run 5 back-to-back tests on my ICM, its good. Coil tested good (Accel unit).Using my multi-meter, I placed the red probe on the coil terminal, and the black lead on both wiring pins and got a reading of 9.41 on both terminals. Ignition fuses are good, and I have power on both sides of the fuses. My SES light is on, but I dont have access to a code scanner that will work on my 95 since its an OBD1 car with an OBD2 ALDL port.

Last edited by LVZ2881; 09-05-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html

Scroll down to opti and spark test
Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

go to shbox's website and it will show you the pinout and how to use an obd1 style plug on our 95's.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

if coil tests ok ,if icm tests ok, check harness connected to opti on both ends for corrosion,has water pump recently been replaced recently? if so may have soaked opti.. last but least if still no spark open opti and check for dislocated/destroyed rotor and replace cap and rotor, if rotors ok replace opti. I bought the CARDON SELECT from ADVANCE AUTO PARTS 6,000 Mi ago for 200.00 and fitted it with an MSD cap and rotor kit.....imo
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
if coil tests ok ,if icm tests ok, check harness connected to opti on both ends for corrosion,has water pump recently been replaced recently? if so may have soaked opti.. last but least if still no spark open opti and check for dislocated/destroyed rotor and replace cap and rotor, if rotors ok replace opti. I bought the CARDON SELECT from ADVANCE AUTO PARTS 6,000 Mi ago for 200.00.....imo
1. Opti Harness is RTV'd into Opti!! Just saw this. Guess they broke the retaining clip. nice hack job! ordered new harness from EFI connection.
2. Yes, waterpump was replaced about a month before i bought it. PO also said this is when it started acting up. I figured it was in need of a new opti, I just wanted to test it for myself and learn something new for future use..
I'll be ordering a chandler opti later tonight...

Quick Reply: school me on Opti's please..