LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cool air+open headers=warped valves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cool air+open headers=warped valves?

Is it possible or is it along the lines of the you'll burn your valves with open headers myth? I am not able to hook up my full exhaust yet but was wondering if cool air (getting in 50's/low 60's here now) would effect the valves at all on decel? I have asked a few friends and they said same thing, some people say yes others say no just like burning valves. So does this theory hold any water to the extent of not driving in winter or sub zero conditions.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your engine is still on, thus generating heat, during deceleration. I doubt anything is going to freeze or fail. I drove with open LT's for 8 months, never had an issue.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Possible to damage the exhaust valves with open headers?
Yes.

Does it have anything whatsoever to do with ambient temperature?
NO.

The possibility exists where excessive (cam) exhaust duration and the removal of any backpressure can cause the air/fuel charge to start burning across the exhaust valve and into the header primary.

Cold air, my ***. Some myths die hard. Usually because there is a grain of truth in there.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Is it possible or is it along the lines of the you'll burn your valves with open headers myth? I am not able to hook up my full exhaust yet but was wondering if cool air (getting in 50's/low 60's here now) would effect the valves at all on decel? I have asked a few friends and they said same thing, some people say yes others say no just like burning valves. So does this theory hold any water to the extent of not driving in winter or sub zero conditions.
the only way you could warp a valve like you are describing could happen but you'd need a very rare case of events to make it happen.......youd have to be beating on the motor hard and got the valves reaaaalllyy hot....then shut it off and have literally a sub zero strong gust of wind rush up the header tubes into the motor......that is what the "myth" is......but honestly idk if even that would do it........ive neva seen it happen
Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove open headers (longtubes) for about a year, on a daily basis. No problems at all. Just really loud.

Quick Reply: Cool air+open headers=warped valves?