LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

heater core flush question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010 | 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Default heater core flush question

I didn't have heat for quite sometime and then 2 years ago i had to have the radiator replaced and the heat worked again. then last summer i had the waterpump replaced and the heat stopped working. If you turn it on after the car warms up it will blow warm for a second or 2 then go back to its normal lukewarm air. I think the heater core probably was originally clogged and then they flushed the system when they did the radiator and then last year when they did the waterpump and changed the coolant from dexcool back to green they probably clogged it somehow.

my question is, if i disconnect the hoses on the waterpump like shbox recommends on a cold motor, how much coolant will come out of those hoses before i put a hose in there to flush the core out. i'm assuming doing that will cause some coolant to come out but how much will come out right when i take the hoses off?
Old 10-18-2010 | 12:04 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Check your thermostat to see if it's stuck open. Does your temp pretty much stay the same regardless of the temp outside?
Old 10-18-2010 | 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your question is how much will come out on a cold motor?

Everything in the line that's above the outlet. Just have a bucket handy. Fluid dynamics my friend.
Old 10-18-2010 | 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Check your thermostat to see if it's stuck open. Does your temp pretty much stay the same regardless of the temp outside?
it pretty much coincides with the outside temp. if its cold out i get cold air, if its warm out its warmer. or do you mean the engine temp?

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Your question is how much will come out on a cold motor?

Everything in the line that's above the outlet. Just have a bucket handy. Fluid dynamics my friend.
isn't the coolant back in the radiator and the overflow when the car is cold? i guess that is what i'm not sure of. maybe they didn't add enough coolant the second time, although the radiator is full to the top?
Old 10-18-2010 | 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

well i decided to let the professionals handle it. $106 and i have heat again. it was a clogged heater core. they also think my front main seal is leaking, ugh. at least the small drips i get every once in a while aren't like the spewing oil i had last week with the OSU ports and/or the intake manifold.

does ANYONE have an LT1 that doesn't leak oil? LOL

Quick Reply: heater core flush question