LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam question in relation to bottom end build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam question in relation to bottom end build.

Kind of a dumb title but i wasnt sure how else to word it.

Couple months ago i did a entire top end rebuild, le2 goodies,injectors,tb, etc. You get the point.
Well now that ive driven the car a few months and have come to find out that for one: my clutch is gone (comp. clutch in future ) and that i may have been over zealous with my cam choice, and that my car still has a high rpm miss even with a new opti

Cam in question. 230/236 .592/.592 110lsa. It feels like i can spin it right to the moon it seems and it just wants to keep going. Don't get me wrong, this makes me happy but i don't foresee the bottom end holding up to 6800-7000rpm on the stock bottom end.

I realize the cam is a little on the bigger side for a factory bottom end, but what about a 355? Or even a 383? I imagine it would perform quite nicely in a properly built 355 from what ive been reading.

I have a feeling it would be a little small for a proper 383 setup, am i wrong?

Im trying to decide between a 355 build or 383 and id rather build a bitchin' 355 as opposed to a half assed 383.
Im still lacking a little experience with cam sizing, etc so im welcome to opinions.

Ive searched and i realize this topic is beaten to death but my questions are a little more specific then asking 355 vs 383

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Yeah that cam with LE2 heads should probably put out 410+rwhp according to LE. I was going to do a 383 build but everybody on here convinced me to just do a bad *** 355 because of my budget. Im doing forged rods, pistons, stock crank and putting my money in my top end. Probably will go with the AI 190cc heads.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lmao you dont need that much freaking cam to put down 410.

We did 411 with a 220 intake duration cam! Not a 22x, a 220...

You're right OP, that cam is a terrible choice for stock bottom end. You could do a high RPM 355 if your only aspirations are for drag racing. If you do a 383 that cam will actually be fairly mild and should make for a good powerband.

Really depends on your goals with the car.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to see people helping people not like my threads all they do is fight man. I'm learning a lot from this thread
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

i would diff. build a nice 355. That cam would be perfect. I have 1 slightly bigger in my 355 and love it. But like said it depends on wat u want to do with ur car..
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by killerz97
Yeah that cam with LE2 heads should probably put out 410+rwhp according to LE. I was going to do a 383 build but everybody on here convinced me to just do a bad *** 355 because of my budget. Im doing forged rods, pistons, stock crank and putting my money in my top end. Probably will go with the AI 190cc heads.
The car has a LE 2 top end on it already. Intake/heads/cam + supporting mods.
Im all for a 383, but i dont think the funds are there to properly build it. If i can't fund it properly, id rather not attempt it. I really dont want to break the bank doing it as that stupid voice in the back of the head is telling me to be a little responsible. I am planning on doing the efi 24x conversion also.

Originally Posted by gregrob
Lmao you dont need that much freaking cam to put down 410.

We did 411 with a 220 intake duration cam! Not a 22x, a 220...

You're right OP, that cam is a terrible choice for stock bottom end. You could do a high RPM 355 if your only aspirations are for drag racing. If you do a 383 that cam will actually be fairly mild and should make for a good powerband.

Really depends on your goals with the car.
Ultimately the car will be on the street. Ill take it to the track maybe 3 times a year if that. Im missing the low end grunt it used to have. It comes on at like 2500-2800 like a bat out of hell, but until then it feels like nothing. Makes drive-ability under 30 sub par to say the least.

So i gather it would be in my best interest to get a smaller cam if i do a 355 which is fine as i sort of figured id have to do that. The highest id like to spin it is 6200-6500 roughly. I just dont know how much of a difference the usable rpm will be with the same cam in a 383 as opposed to a 350. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Good to see people helping people not like my threads all they do is fight man. I'm learning a lot from this thread
I only see flame war's on the questions that have beaten to death and back. Kind of understandable to a point i suppose.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro

Ultimately the car will be on the street. Ill take it to the track maybe 3 times a year if that. Im missing the low end grunt it used to have. It comes on at like 2500-2800 like a bat out of hell, but until then it feels like nothing. Makes drive-ability under 30 sub par to say the least

Then you need a smaller cam, or a stroker. The low end "grab you by the *****" brutal tq is what makes a STREET car fun.

Most people aren't honest about their use for the car and pick a drag race oriented setup for what is really a street car, and it's not near as fun as it could be.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
The car has a LE 2 top end on it already. Intake/heads/cam + supporting mods.
What is the intake port volume and intake valve diameter on your heads?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregrob
Then you need a smaller cam, or a stroker. The low end "grab you by the *****" brutal tq is what makes a STREET car fun.

Most people aren't honest about their use for the car and pick a drag race oriented setup for what is really a street car, and it's not near as fun as it could be.
But drag cars ARE fun on the street

Quick Reply: Cam question in relation to bottom end build.