LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New clutch time

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New clutch time

Its beginning to slip and its getting time to put it away for winter and I was wondering what would be best for my setup. I race it a good bit so i need something that will hold up but also drive it a bit on the weekends too. Its only a bolt on car for now but I soon hope to have 12 bolt, cam, and spay. Im still in college so im on a bit of a budget. What would you guys think would be best for me and what all will I need?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how soon do u plan to h/c/i it? a cheap solution would be getting a lt4 clutch. i had one in a bolt on car that took TONS of 2 step side step launches at 6k. there are tons of choices in aftermarket clutches and everyone has good/bad things to say about each. i have experience with spec, centerforce, lt4 setup, and ram. the ram hdx is a hard clutch to beat for the price imo
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

I'm very happy with my ram powergrip HD. But might a little to excessive for a bolt ons car. But drives very nice on the streets, no chatter after break in, and just slightly stiffer pedal than stock. Hell my gf can drive it through a drive thru without a problem.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a ram hdx for the past 3-4 years and its done me very well with stock feel and grabbed pretty good but wasnt untill i went to the track this year with m/t et street slick where it chewed it to ****. If you choose a ram opt for the ram powergrip hd which is still not to badly priced and for a spec i woul go for a stage 2 or 3 depending on how hard of a clutch you want. I also hear Competition Clutchs have some really nice affordable clutches too so you may want to look up some dirt on them too.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

For a cam/spray setup, I wouldn't go with anything less than a full-faced kevlar disk.

If you decide you wanna step up higher to something with pucks, make sure its still got a sprung hub-- because even though solid hub clutches bite quicker, they're not very streetable.

As for brand, stick to the well known brand names, this is what I tell everyone.

McLeod is expensive but the best.
There's also Spec, Ram, Competition, Zoom, & Centerforce.