LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which intake & head combo is best for my setup.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which intake & head combo is best for my setup.

ok guys, first what i have. 383 lt1, eagle steel crank, eagle h beams, srp pistons, 58 bbk throttle body, 175 nitrous works kit, comp cams 292xfi.
i really like the trickflow heads, AFR is just a lil more than i want to pay. i also am unsure what LT1 intake to use. i looked a an LT1 intake from golen engines. i have also looked at the rpm LT1 air gap intake. decisions decisions.
the car is set up great, moser 9 inch 33 spline axles full spool, 6 point cage, frame tied, stronger cross members, all suspension has been upgraded. msd everything.
i also posted a question about big shot nitrous kits for LT1. i have been looking at big shot fogger kits.
i also was looking for info on inline shifter with linkages for a 6 speed.

ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED! thanks have a great day.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I would do is replace that cast crank with a forged one.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on goals and budget. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the car?

The LT1 factory intake is pretty well engineered for the motor. The edelbrock intakes (air gap) often times show little or no HP gains compared to a stocker intake, but they do help a little with heak soak with the raised design they use.

Usually a ported LT1 intake will suffice for most modded motors, otherwise the serious guys move onto a single plane setup, which has to be custom done.

Essentially,
Bang for buck it's like this:

Factory intake->Ported factory intake->Custom Single Plane

If a custom single plane isn't your thing, or you want a somewhat stock look, TPIS makes a great (but pricey, of course ) lt1 intake as well. After you get their fuel rails (which are neccessary to use their intake) you're looking at around $900 for their setup.

On TPIS's engine dyno my buddy's 383 LT1 did this:
Edelbrock intake:529hp
Stock ported itake:530hp
TPIS intake:555hp

hope this helps some
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

If you have a set of stock GM LT castings, you can't beat the value of simply having them CNC'd. More power, less $, and more of what you spend goes towards what actually makes a difference (machine work & components) vs. castings.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys.
@ speed demon, the crank is steel in fact the bottom end is competition ready.

@ master tomos, i do have stock lt1 intake that has been gasket ported. im wondering if that would be enough though. im just trying to make sure everything works well together to get the most hp out of it. as far as goals, well i want it to run some good strong numbers, but consistancy is of major importance.

@ advanced induction, i do have 3 sets of stock lt1 heads. i checked some prices with local guys and porting. they wanna charge about the same prices as aftermarket prices, and offer the same flow as "out of the box" aftermarket. my family ran superstock for years but to get 1 of those guys to work their magic is too expensive right now. i have read many aftermarket upgrades that works great but figuring out which one is the key.

thanks to all for the reply's, your input is appreciated!

Quick Reply: which intake & head combo is best for my setup.