LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Guage Cluster???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guage Cluster???

My fuel guage will not go up past the 1/4 full mark. I would like to open up the cluster to try moving the needle. I believe it might be stuck after the car sat for so long. Anybody have a link or give me the trick to getting inside of assembly?

When I first tried getting the car running again the guage went to full. After replacing the fuel pump it will stay firmly on 1/4 till about 3 gallons left in the tank then it will start moving back and forth between 1/4 and empty.

Hoping its not the cluster itself as this car is a 93 with the yellow faces.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

I doubt its the cluster. You prob messed something up when you did the fuel pump
Old 12-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

When you put the new pump in did you make sure the fuel level arm was free to move and not hitting anything before reinstalling it? A lot of mechanics never do this but anytime you replace a in tank pump reach in there and make sure the plastic baffle is not loose I cant tell you how many times I have seen this on GM vehicles. Back in the late 80's I fixed a couple hundered loose baffles in GM trucks because the baffle was not secured properly and it came loose and bent the arm on the sender. 9 times out of 10 if it worked before and only goes to 1/4 after something is keeping the arm from making the full arc and thats why it reads only a 1/4 even if its full. A quick check would be to unplug the connector where the fuel pump and ABS wires come through the body (its on the drivers side on the floor pan in front of the rear axle) Figure out which wire is the gauge wire (I think it the white one but check to be sure its 2:30 in the morning and negitive wind chill or I would run out to the shop and look it up for you) Find the corresponding connector on the car side with nothing touching it and the key on the gauge will be on full or empty shorted to ground it will be the oppisite. Some factory service manuals list the ohm values for 1/4,1/2,3/4 if you want to get real in depth and buy some resistors at Radio shack.
Hope this helps
Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would go back and check the pump itself. Very seldom do the gauge clusters "Go Bad"
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit 00C5
My fuel guage will not go up past the 1/4 full mark. I would like to open up the cluster to try moving the needle. I believe it might be stuck after the car sat for so long. Anybody have a link or give me the trick to getting inside of assembly?

When I first tried getting the car running again the guage went to full. After replacing the fuel pump it will stay firmly on 1/4 till about 3 gallons left in the tank then it will start moving back and forth between 1/4 and empty.

Hoping its not the cluster itself as this car is a 93 with the yellow faces.

Thanks!!!
unplug the harness that plugs into the body under the car behind where the drivers side rear seat is.......then turn the key on....you should see the gauge peg to full........if it doesn't ur gauge is junk if it does then its a sender problem in the tank.........
Old 01-01-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my gauge always says full does that mean i need a new assembly? sorry dont mean to high jack

Quick Reply: Guage Cluster???