LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

heater issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater issue

I am having a issue with my heat in my 93 z.. I turn it on and cold just comes out .. When i put it on high i dont get much more airflow coming out of the vents either but i can hear the motor on ? Its getting cold and a 45 min commute isnt fun in 20 degree weather
Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28camaro1090
I am having a issue with my heat in my 93 z.. I turn it on and cold just comes out .. When i put it on high i dont get much more airflow coming out of the vents either but i can hear the motor on ? Its getting cold and a 45 min commute isnt fun in 20 degree weather
Sounds like your heater core might be clogged... perhaps with leaves and with sludge on the inside. Pull off the hoses to your heater core and either, pull it out entire to clean it. or run water through each of the hoses to get as much sludge out as possible. Its a common issue with these cars. I had to replace mine last year from how much sludge had built up inside the heater core.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either your heater core is clogged, or the hose and flow orifice are clogged as well. Many times flushing the core is not enough to remove all of the gunk and core replacement is necessary.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

I'm having the same issues. To remove the heater core you gotta pull the entire dash right? How much of a pita is it?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my '93 had the exact same issue

unhook both hoses and run a waterhose medium strength into one and wait until the water coming out the other is clear... switch hoses and repeat... you WILL have to repeat several times

I was rather shocked to see how much crap came out
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

you dont have to remove the dash just the glove box and the kick panel. but it could also be the little door that moves back and forth between a/c and heat. i had to replace mine in both my LT1's
Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28camaro1090
Well, I'm in Arizona, and it's 75 degrees out right now; what's a heater?

Plenty of housing available here, cheap too.

From what I've experienced, the flushing works for about 80% of the cases this occurs; I've had the best success of flushing, wait a day, flush again, then wait another day, and flush it again.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fazz73jr
I'm having the same issues. To remove the heater core you gotta pull the entire dash right? How much of a pita is it?
open up your glove box all the way (pull the sides in and pull forward) youll see a little box with afew screws in it. you might have to pull off the bottom kick panel aswell. Take off the 2 heater lines going intot he core. and remove all the screws on the inside cover. It really is a painless job
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by djjab57
you dont have to remove the dash just the glove box and the kick panel. but it could also be the little door that moves back and forth between a/c and heat. i had to replace mine in both my LT1's
Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
open up your glove box all the way (pull the sides in and pull forward) youll see a little box with afew screws in it. you might have to pull off the bottom kick panel aswell. Take off the 2 heater lines going intot he core. and remove all the screws on the inside cover. It really is a painless job
Thanks Guys! I got to replace it as its getting kinda cold here and was dreading it thinking i have to pull the entire dash. Mine started leaking after i tried to flush it out. Damn thing was and still is cloged lol
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fazz73jr
Thanks Guys! I got to replace it as its getting kinda cold here and was dreading it thinking i have to pull the entire dash. Mine started leaking after i tried to flush it out. Damn thing was and still is cloged lol
np man! thats what forums are for!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VinR1
my '93 had the exact same issue

unhook both hoses and run a waterhose medium strength into one and wait until the water coming out the other is clear... switch hoses and repeat... you WILL have to repeat several times

I was rather shocked to see how much crap came out
Im about to do this but wanted to make sure i know what hoses to unhook. Do i unhook hoses at the water pump or the heater core it's self?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BL96TA
Im about to do this but wanted to make sure i know what hoses to unhook. Do i unhook hoses at the water pump or the heater core it's self?
Itll be easier to unhook then from the heater core to pull them out. just be careful when you pull the heater core out not to get coolant everywhere.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Itll be easier to unhook then from the heater core to pull them out. just be careful when you pull the heater core out not to get coolant everywhere.
Um...to flush the heater core, you just pull the two hoses off of the water pump, right?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

My car wasn't getting any heat either, so this weekend i flushed the heater core by removing the two coolant lines from the passenger side of the water pump (just follow the hoses from the heater core to verify). Took my garden hose on low pressure and ran water through each of the two unhooked coolant lines several times. Unlike what others have reported what was flushed out of my heater core didn't look too bad however it must have been enough to clog it. Since the flush my heater has been working great. Thanks for the support,
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BL96TA
water pump

Quick Reply: heater issue