LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project LT1 dyno mule

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Project LT1 dyno mule

Ok so i have a 87 el camino that i plan on carbing a LT1 and throwing in it. The motor i have has 160,000 on it with a nice lil dime sized hole in the number 2 piston. I have plenty of std bore stock lt1 pistons that i could throw back in it, but i also have a set of .030 forged speed pro's with a 16 cc inverted dome that im thinking about punching it and running those. If i cut the heads .030 and deck the block to 0 deck it will still be 11:1. I plan on porting the stock heads but still utilize the stock valves. I picked up a edelbrock performer rpm intake awhile back for 50 bucks that i will throw on it. I have a cc503 camshaft laying around that im debating on running it or doing a custom grind that will be ground for a more broad flat torque curve. Im leaning towards the 503 being i have it and its still stock bottom end. The only money i will have in it will be gaskets, rings, bearings and a distributor. Tell me what you guys think, would you go with the 503 or experiment with the camshaft. If i do another cam im gonna have to do some back to back testing with them on the engine dyno to suit my curiosity.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Custom cam for sure. I almost went with a CC503, im glad i didnt
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Custom cam for sure. I almost went with a CC503, im glad i didnt
How hard are you spinning your stock bottom end. Im kind of scared to venture over 6500 with the stock rods and heavy pistons i have.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you've got an engine dyno and your going to do some testing on an LT1. Should do a camshaft comparison or something. Have folks send you a cam, and or headers, toss it in with a sponsers mail order tune and check for differences in HP/TQ curves. I'd go crazy if I had a dyno lying around

-Dustin-
Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bottom end is stock with ARP bolts everywhere. I will probably spin around 65-6600. I had my cam specd on a 110 to keep the peak down to around 6400 or so
Old 12-31-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
My bottom end is stock with ARP bolts everywhere. I will probably spin around 65-6600. I had my cam specd on a 110 to keep the peak down to around 6400 or so
Your cam looks similar to the cam in my forged 355 thats in my TA. Mines a 228/235 only mines on 108 LSA. Though i dont know how the power curve will change with my fuel injection i can say with a carb and a vic jr intake mine peaked at 6500.

Im guessing being it will be a dual plain intake on this motor, the 503 will prolly be phizzling out around 6200. The only thing that is keeping me from doing a custom grind is the cost. Right now i can build the motor for under 500 and my time invested in fixing it. The car will prolly only weigh around 3000 lbs. I cant get to wild with it, cant be having my el camino whoopin up on my TA.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
So you've got an engine dyno and your going to do some testing on an LT1. Should do a camshaft comparison or something. Have folks send you a cam, and or headers, toss it in with a sponsers mail order tune and check for differences in HP/TQ curves. I'd go crazy if I had a dyno lying around

-Dustin-
Yes we have a SF901, but unfortunitly we dont have the setup for fuel injected engines. If we did i would be tuning mine on the engine dyno for the better load capabilities, but for every advantage there seems to be a disadvantage. Its hard to get everything just like it will be in the vehicle, such as full exhaust system and other little things that tend to change the demands on a engine management systems. It can be done but our dyno cell isnt large enough to do such. Im sure there would be advantages of a water brake over inertia dynos if all things were the same.

If you go to gofastmotors.com you can see our facilities. Theres a slide show on the main page of the shop and two videos. One is the cnc machine and one is a 511 big block chrysler on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Project LT1 dyno mule