LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issues

I have a 97 z28 and was in the garage the other day messing around with it since I dont drive it in winter and noticed I had a coolant leak. It was one of the heater hoses so I replaced all the hoses and started it and shut it off and did that a few times until I got all the air out and got it full of coolant. Then I took it outside and let it run awhile and shut it off. About a hour later I went to start it and when it started the starter stayed engaged so I shut the car off and the starter was still running and had to unhook the battery to get it to stop. I replaced the starter last summer and worked good up until this happened. I was told the starter was bad again and also the ignition switch could also be bad. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the terminals on the starter solenoid. Because the ground and the 12v+ lead are so close together, it's pretty common for them to touch. Maybe when you changed the heater hoses you tugged on one of the wires rotating the terminal on the starter (especially if it wasn't tight) and it's now close to touching/touching the opposite terminal.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Teching In

I just got a chance to check the wires and they are tight and not touching. Also when I unhook the battery to get the starter to quit and I hook it back up and its fine until I try to start it again and thats when it does it.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Probably a bad starter again then. You might want to check the starter tooth engagement. Might be a little tight and may need to shim the starter down. Sounds like just a starter to me tho