LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Heat issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat issues

Ok so yeah....I am a newbie not only on here but to camaros. I just bought a 95 Z28 with the LT1.....Tonight I was sitting in line at a local business and noticed my temp go up to about 3/4 of the way up. I brought the RPMS up and the temp dropped right back to normal. Also my heat wont get too hot in the car unless I have the rpms up. Anyways, I got home and could hear coolant bubbling in my heater core.....so with all these issues, does this sound like air in the system, or maybe a thermostat issue, or even possibly a radiator cap not holding the correct pressure.....any info you have will help please. Thanks ( oh and to add, my normal running temp isn't at 50% on the gauge....more like 30%.....don't know if that is associated with the issue or not. My fluid levels are good, but was able to take the radiator cap off right when i got home with no coolant pouring out. Also my top hose was not as firm as it should be....kinda squishy.....i know when hot, most hoses are actually really hard to suqeeze.)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would start by bleeding the system first. Any air is bad air. Wouldn't hurt to check the thermostat for proper operation - put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I would start by bleeding the system first. Any air is bad air. Wouldn't hurt to check the thermostat for proper operation - put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens.
Do those all sound like issues that would come from either air in the cooling system or just a thermostat? Just hoping its nothing major
Old 01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I just noticed two little cracks in the seal on my radiator cap....would that cause any kind of leak in the pressure? or would it have to be more than two little cracks?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

if the seal of the radiator cap is damage it means your radiator cap is not holidng pressure. I had the same problem plus a new radiator cap wuldnt hurt its cheap to buy .

Quick Reply: Heat issues