LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

radiaor question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiaor question?

hey guys, whenever i check my coolant overflow resavoir it never is at the cold mark so i top it off, but never will it hit the warm mark even when warm. today i checked the radiator with the car cold hadn't started it yet and the coolant level was low in it. after i let the car run the radiator filled back up. what could casue this? there is no visible leaking anywhere that i see yet. usually whenever i check my radiator it is always full.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has to be going somewhere. Top off the radiator while it's cold and fill the resi to cold mark and see what happens if it ends up low again you have a small leak. Could be in the radiator or heater core or any of the lines. When you fill it clean up any spill over. The warm the car up and use your nose to see if you can smell coolant anywhere. Shouldn't be able to smell it. Run the heater and see if you smell it coming out of the ducts. Small leaks are hard to find. Just got to start really searching if it ends up low again.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

^^^ I agree with him same thing happened to me, it ended up being one of my hoses not being tight enough
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

you could also try changing the radiator cap. These cars run a lot of pressure and if the cap goes bad the pressure pushes the coolant back into the overflow and then it can leak out of the top. Then usually by the time you get to where your going it doesn't overflow anymore due to lack of coolant.

Quick Reply: radiaor question?