LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

engine still runs hot!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine still runs hot!

i flushed the system and it completley full of fluid no air left in the sytem at all. but it still runs the same exact temp. im thinking the tstat is stuck if that makes any sense. I have a completley stock lt1 and i dont race it so is a 160 degree t stat ok for my sytem and it seems to me that it would be open pretty much all the time is that fine?? if you have any other suggestions on how to keep my system cool other than a new radiator let me know anmd thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

What temp do you consider "hot"? Theses cars operate at high temp 200-215 depending on driving conditions. Bleeding the system can be tricky sometimes. A 160 stat will be fine. You will see the temp lower as you drive but it will still rise in traffic or at idle because your stock fans don't come on till around 215.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

it generaly almost always around the 3/4 of the way up between the 210 and 260 line
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

if the system used to run dexcool (and most did) then it's very likely to have a decent amount of buildup. Have you emptied the system and checked the insides of hoses and what not? Have you taken the t-stat out and checked if the valve moved or if it was gunked up or even rusted partially closed? At low ambient temp like you find in winter I would not expect the car to run any hotter than what the t-stat is rated at + 10 degrees. when cruising. Hotter than that and something isn't right. (oil breakdown could cause excessive heat, improper ratio of anti-freeze to water can warm things up a bit too if the water is way too low).
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

The fans in these cars on the stock tune don't come on until like 226 degrees. Most have either reprogrammed the tune to come on at a lower temp or put in a manual switch. It blew my mind when mine ran that hot but apparantly they all do.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Teching In

In city traffic I was always around 225 but when I finally started moving it would drop back down towards 180 once I finally got back up to highway speeds. Also you didn't go and mix the dexcool and regular green anti freeze did you? THAT could cause problems, lots and lots of problems.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by safemode
if the system used to run dexcool (and most did) then it's very likely to have a decent amount of buildup. Have you emptied the system and checked the insides of hoses and what not? Have you taken the t-stat out and checked if the valve moved or if it was gunked up or even rusted partially closed? At low ambient temp like you find in winter I would not expect the car to run any hotter than what the t-stat is rated at + 10 degrees. when cruising. Hotter than that and something isn't right. (oil breakdown could cause excessive heat, improper ratio of anti-freeze to water can warm things up a bit too if the water is way too low).
i wasnt even checking the t-start cuz i wasnt thinking about it. i foolishly thought that a flush would make it all better. and also a no to the hoses i could look down in the radiator and saw there was a thin film coating the inside even after the flush. and its the 50/50 mix of prestone. im just gonna go ahead and get the 160 degree t-stat its only 15 bucks and ill go from there.

Originally Posted by Octavarium
In city traffic I was always around 225 but when I finally started moving it would drop back down towards 180 once I finally got back up to highway speeds. Also you didn't go and mix the dexcool and regular green anti freeze did you? THAT could cause problems, lots and lots of problems.
no i flushed the system once with water and flush fluid and once with just water. when i drained it after i used just water it had a very light green tint to it so im guesing there might have been a very small amount of dexcool in there when i aded 50/50 prestone in it. what problems are you talking about

Quick Reply: engine still runs hot!