LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Using rear o2 harness for headers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using rear o2 harness for headers???

I'm going to be installing longtube headers and have already extended my budget to get them. The question is, is there any way to get around having to by o2 extentions? I've read that splicing is not a good idea. However I remember a post about using the rear o2 harnesses and just changing the pins on the pcm. this seems like a good idea but when i took a look under the car the other day i noticed that both rear o2's are on the passenger side in the Y-pipe. has anyone actually used the longer rear harnesses for the front o2's on headers? how do you re-rout them? Living in Canada makes buying and shipping things much more expensive not to mention the time it takes to actually get the parts so I'd rather avoid the "Just get the extensions" answer. Thanks for any info you guys have.
BTW: 1996 camaro z28 A4...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty sure my LPPs don't have/need extensions.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Launching!

I'd re check that.. i dont see any way of having long tubes without extensions.. anyone else with lpp/ebay headers not using extentions?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty sure I didn't need an extension on my driver side, but I THINK I used a short (maybe 12") extension on the passenger side.

You COULD reuse and re-pin the rear O2 harnesses, but you'd either need to use the square connector O2s OR cut off the square connectors and install the flat connectors (which is somewhat counter-intuitive anyway). You can however use the square connector O2s for fuel trim - they're the same as the fronts, just a different connector.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Launching!

i didn't notice the rears had the square connectors.. so you're saying i can use the rear o2's inplace of the original front ones, re-pin the pcm and tie up the old front wires? any idea on wire routing? hardly seems like theres enough to reach to the drivers side...