LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High oil pressure, engine rev's rough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High oil pressure, engine rev's rough?

My car has been in storage, but is started every month since I've stored it. It was 8°c out today so I went to start it up. I noticed that the oil pressure gauge was reading really high (even after letting it idle for 15 minutes), so after idling for about 15 minutes I gave it a rev and the engine felt really rough. So I let it idle for another 10 minutes, the oil pressure needle dropped to the middle of the gauge and felt smooth when giving it a couple revs.

Is this a indication something is failing? Oil pump related? I use thicker oil but this has never happened, even when running it the other month in -14°c weather.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Just throwing a couple possibilities out there... do you still have the oil cooler, if it came with one? It's a not uncommon source of constriction. Also could be the filter, partially collapsed. Possibly stuck/ gummed up pressure bypass spring in the oil filter adapter/housing plate. 5W30 is probably better suited for your area, maybe switch to 10W30 in summer.

An oil change couldn't hurt and wouldn't cost much to see if it helps any. Then move on to other things. Oil cooler delete costs you one hose from radiator, bottom driver's side to WP- lower driver's side + remove cooler and grind studs down to bolts. 2 Cheap options that couldn't hurt to try...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Just throwing a couple possibilities out there... do you still have the oil cooler, if it came with one? It's a not uncommon source of constriction. Also could be the filter, partially collapsed. Possibly stuck/ gummed up pressure bypass spring in the oil filter adapter/housing plate. 5W30 is probably better suited for your area, maybe switch to 10W30 in summer.

An oil change couldn't hurt and wouldn't cost much to see if it helps any. Then move on to other things. Oil cooler delete costs you one hose from radiator, bottom driver's side to WP- lower driver's side + remove cooler and grind studs down to bolts. 2 Cheap options that couldn't hurt to try...
I'll have to check for the oil cooler, can't remember since I last had the car on a hoist. Was the oil cooler optional? Whats the easiest way to check?

With the oil filter, I hope its not that...I replaced it only 450km~ ago when I did an oil change. Its a Napa Gold 1061. The previous owner only used 15w-50 Mobil one without any problems so I run the same. Maybe I'll try 10W30 once spring comes around. I just hope nothing got damaged, I've been saving up for a rear end, bigger cam and new tires...wouldn't want this to set me back even further.

Thanks Gojira!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here you go, view for the oil coolers on the 95 cars:

Not an available option after 95, not all cars had them. Both of my 94s had the earlier type. Oil cooler delete is easy, thankfully, and can be done with the front of the car on ramps. Worth eliminating a potential trouble spot if you can.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you winterize the fuel system? If not the old gas could be a source of your problem (assuming its the same from when you put it into storage).
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Here you go, view for the oil coolers on the 95 cars:

Not an available option after 95, not all cars had them. Both of my 94s had the earlier type. Oil cooler delete is easy, thankfully, and can be done with the front of the car on ramps. Worth eliminating a potential trouble spot if you can.
Thanks again Gojira94, I really appreciate you posting that for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
Did you winterize the fuel system? If not the old gas could be a source of your problem (assuming its the same from when you put it into storage).
Nope I didn't winterize the fuel system.

Quick Reply: High oil pressure, engine rev's rough?