LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine removal w/out lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine removal w/out lift?

Ok I grew up with old school muscle. With an engine removal it comes out the top. With my 94 Formula I know this isnt the case since every thing comes out the bottom. I plan in the near future to do an over haul since im close to the 200k mark on miles. Im in tech school and have use for the lifts when it doesn't involve performance mods. Some I can get away w/, most not so much. So how is this handled with out one? Cause before I do anything major I want it out. Since we all know there isn't much room to work with.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need a cherry picker to lift the front of the car up high enought (by the crossbar in front of the radiator) to pull the detached k-member with motor out from underneath. In addition its nice to have some woodedn platforms to elevate the jackstands if need be. That is all you need to replace having a lift.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yep ive done this many times.......get yourself two wheels and sit the rear tires in them so it elevates the car (you have to do this or the bumper will hit the ground before the car is high enough......then make two 20" tall wooden supports for your two jackstands hook up the picker to the radiator cross bar and start lifting!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Wow sounds intense. Ok so I need platforms for the jack stands to sit on? 20 inchs? Ok Dumb question when would be a good time to unbolt the K member? meaning do I want it to be loose first? This will be my cherry in this, with this car. Closest has been a tranny swap. So far this has been good feed back thus far thanks.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Launching!

If you use the radiator support, get a strap. Chain will bend it. It's plenty strong, there will just be a little cosmetic damage. You also can run a chain through were the battery sits (pass side) and where the air filter goes (driver side) You'll be lifting from the frame horns. Either way though

Unbolt the trans CM, I think i usually support it with a jack. Then unbolt the shock towers and lower the KMbr onto the dolly, you should be able to get to the K-mem bolts then and take them out right before you start to lift
I'm sure the other guys that posted have done it alot more than i have. Does that sound right guys? lol

Last edited by ebeard; 02-21-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

I pulled my motor out the front with a cherry picker I never even took the hood off. I had the front of the car jacked up on stands and after everything was disconnected it took about three minutes to remove the motor!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it can come out the top... but you gotta remove the tranny... from the bottom

with jack stands or ramps, you can pull the trans from the bottom and once the radiator and condensor are out. the motor has to be turned sideways and it helps if you pull the intake and heads first
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I pulled mine with intake and heads on just have to shorten the chain so it is taught. the hardest part was getting disconnecting the tranny.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Ya thru the bottom sounds less involved. I want to remove a less as possiable. I would look to keep the engine and trans mated do to how much of a bitch it is to install while the engine is still in the hole. I do like the feed back though. Gives me options. now if i could get some love on my other posts.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

why can you only use the lift when it doesnt involve performance mods?? doesnt make sense...
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Were being taught repairs. Not upgrades...IT BLOWS trust me. We can get away with some stuff but thats about it. My teacher looks at us when we talk about it and we may have well asked to set his family on fire!!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

broken parts always is an excuse for upgrade cuz it needs replacing if ya get where im going
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Oh true..very true...just we all know that parts for these things are not cheap...being a student suck...no money really to work with... Any of you done the de-screening of the mass air? Is it a bitch or simple?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

tell me about it im a student too. the maf is pretty easy just punch it out but DO NOT touch the sensors inside! i learned that the hard way
Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

yea thats pretty much the extent of going out the bottom with it.........just go to home depot and grab two 500lb dollies and put one under each control arm/kmember side and unbolt it......then lift the car up and roll er right on out.............

you can go through the top with the transmission attached....i just did it with mine..... you gotta pull the accessories and the water pump and balancer as well as the intake manifold and the radiator and fans and adjust the chain jusssttttt right and it will come out.........heres some pics of mine comming out the top a month ago....

Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Nice ride for starters. Ya I hear ya. Just seems that would be more time consuming to take it out the top. BUT looks alot safer though. HHmmm what to do....well I have time.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by czechnuts
Nice ride for starters. Ya I hear ya. Just seems that would be more time consuming to take it out the top. BUT looks alot safer though. HHmmm what to do....well I have time.
thanks!!!

in your case id prob come out the bottom.........out the top is easier the less stuff there is in the car........as you can see mine is kinda naked so it made it easier lol
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

A long time ago, me and a buddy pulled the engine out of his 95 firehawk without a hoist. We just unbolted and disconnected everything, then took the heads, intake, and accessories off. After that we took the front wheels off and set the front end on the ground, bolted a short chain to the block and got 2 eight foot 2x4's and screwed them together. We slid the 2x4's through the chain and with one of us on each side of the car, we lifted the engine out.
Yes it was very hillbilly, but we got it done.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by stryker1320
A long time ago, me and a buddy pulled the engine out of his 95 firehawk without a hoist. We just unbolted and disconnected everything, then took the heads, intake, and accessories off. After that we took the front wheels off and set the front end on the ground, bolted a short chain to the block and got 2 eight foot 2x4's and screwed them together. We slid the 2x4's through the chain and with one of us on each side of the car, we lifted the engine out.
Yes it was very hillbilly, but we got it done.
holy redneck ingenuity lol.........first time ive heard of doing it that way lol
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Make friends with a guy that owns a backhoe We pulled motor and tranny out the top without breaking a sweat

Quick Reply: Engine removal w/out lift?