LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

gas in ccv tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas in ccv tube

I'm gonna try to keep this as short as I can. '97 z28.

pulled the ccv elbow, had white gunk and a strong smell of gas. cleaned it out.

drove around for about 10 minutes(to the parts store) pulled the tube off of the TB, and about an ounce of liquid gas literally poured out of the tube.

is this normal? I keep reading about how people put filters on the tube so that oil doesn't get into the TB, but what about the other way around?

is this indicative of other problems?

I don't want this to be too long, so I'll answer any questions, but I don't want to type out the full background of the car in the first post.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

The crank case vent tube does not have an elbow. I think what you mean is the evap solenoid tube. I would imagine if you are getting fuel into that then your canister is clogged and/or the solenoid is not functioning properly.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The crank case vent tube does not have an elbow. I think what you mean is the evap solenoid tube. I would imagine if you are getting fuel into that then your canister is clogged and/or the solenoid is not functioning properly.
I believe he is talking about the hose that goes from the valve cover to the tb
Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Teching In

I am talking about the one going from the valve cover to the TB.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by freeloader
I am talking about the one going from the valve cover to the TB.
If that is the case then something is extremely wrong. Either your oil is being saturated with gas or your intake or both. The vent tube is neutral flowing. Pull the dipstick and smell for gas. Don't run the car until you figure this out. If you have gas in the oil it can do bearing damage.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If you have gas in the oil it can do bearing damage.
x 1,000,000 that gas is thinning the oil out!!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Teching In

the dipstick both smells fine and the oil looks fine, it's only affecting that valve cover, if that.

it's worth noting that the gas and oil mixture gunks up on the elbow, keeping the gas from flowing into the engine(thank god) though currently it also keeps the valve cover from venting, so this needs to be fixed asap.

basically I need to put

http://www.amazon.com/Fram-BA6592-FR.../dp/B000C31J3C

on it as soon as possible, yeah?

or will that not keep the gas from flowing?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Can you post a pic of how your pass. side intake plumbing looks? Something isn't right, I think... alomost sounds like you've got a stuck injector (or two) and you're pulling a lot of vacuum on the CCV hose for some reason.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Teching In

I'll see what I can do about getting you some pics, but I can tell you that at least at idle it has no noticeable vacuum at all.

I thought I might have a clogged injector maybe(just a theory, considering I shouldn't really have that much liquid fluid in my intake at any point, much less in that tube) so I threw some seafoam in it.

I also ended up changing the actual pcv valve, a day later, it was full of oil and stuck open.

I mention those two things because 1. they might have had some affect that changes the situation now and 2. the car has actually been running WAYYY better since I did it.

like, I would drive it 5-10 miles and it would run rough as hell and eventually die while I watched the voltage slowly drop(though the alternator and the battery repeatedly tested as working fine). now it's running great.

anyway, I'll work on getting some pics, hopefully that info is in some way useful.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Village Troll

Something is not right. After thinking about it, it can't be a stuck injector or gas from the plenum because in order to get into the breather tube it would have to work its way in front of the throttlebody and the only way for that to happen is if the engine was producing no vacuum.
Post up pics. It may clear this up.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Teching In

http://img191.imageshack.us/i/022811165.jpg/

if you need a more specific picture or if you just need to know something, I'll do what I can to help out. unfortunately I only have a 1.3 mp cellphone camera to work with though, so you'll have to bear with me on that .

I'd also like to note that when I went out to take the picture I popped off the tube and no gas was in it, and the elbow was oddly cleaner than I'd even left it, so I really wonder if the stuck pcv valve had something to do with it.

that still wouldn't really answer why I had such a ridiculous amount of liquid gas not only in some part of my intake, but enough to actually get somehow sucked into that tube.

and it was FOR SURE gas, I mean condensation or anything else would be bad too, but this had a strong gasoline smell...I mean, that's what it was.

which sort of leads me into my next question...the original owner did a LOT of upgrades to this car before I got it. some of them smart, some of them not so smart. supposedly the entire engine has basically been built up to lt4 specifications with the exception of the intake(and possibly things like coolant passages), one of the things that were mentioned were that it had a ridiculously big TB size(58 mm) and equally big injectors(34-36 lbs).

the car has gotten fairly atrocious gas mileage since I bought it, even for a camaro. roughly in the 5-7 mpg range. is it possible that with different injectors and a stock pcm that my engine might just have gas pouring into it at retardedly high rates? is there any way to check specifically what injectors I have? I was honestly kind of hoping the previous(2nd) owner was either lying to me to sell the car, or was misinformed. any help would be appreciated.

p.s. sorry this was so long.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Village Troll

I would just start tracing **** back. You say your oil does not smell like gas so it would have to be coming from the TB side. Take your elbow off and see if there is any raw fuel around the TB. Out of curiosity, since it doesn't look like you have any evap equipment, where is the evap line (line coming out of fender on drivers side)?
Take a pic of the drivers side of the engine.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Teching In

http://img543.imageshack.us/i/030111160.jpg/
http://img269.imageshack.us/i/0301111602.jpg/
http://img822.imageshack.us/i/0301111603.jpg/
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/0301111601.jpg/

that should give you a pretty good idea of everything that's going on.

honestly I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing, I had an '88 TBI camaro for years and I could tell you damn near anything you wanted to know about those cars, but this...I dunno where to even look for the evap, much less whether or not I have one.

I know I'm veering off topic again, but if anyone can give me any information about that intake it'd be very helpful to me. Specifically if that's a common look for k&n cold air intakes, is it common for people to have to remove the fender wall to get the filter to fit? That seems kinda crazy.

anyway, I still would like to know what's going on, if the evap is missing maybe that'll give me a clue.

also, I pulled the hose off again today, no liquid, no strong smell.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

evap is a little black box on the passanger side of the intake with a red connector going to it and a could hard plastic lines coming out of it
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Teching In

http://www.shbox.com/ci/ci07.jpg

that big black box, or

http://www.shbox.com/ci/ci260-2.jpg

that little black...thing?

I apparently have neither.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

2nd pic

1st pic is a vent from the gas tank IIRC
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

okay, I am definitely missing that whole bracket, and the two nipple/connectors on the tb that it attaches to are now plugged.

I say "now" because I bought a cap for the bottom one the day all that went down, it hadn't had one up to that point.

would leaving that uncovered have caused...anything? I mean, could gas have evaporated out of that hole or anything?

p.s. thanks for all the help, seriously.

Last edited by freeloader; 03-01-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don't have raw fuel in the tube - you have crankcase condensate, a mixture of fuel vapor, oil mist, and ambient moisture.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

aside from the fact that it wasn't cold outside, that does seem to make the most sense.

thanks, I'd actually never heard of that.

Quick Reply: gas in ccv tube