LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant leak?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak?

I'm in the process of getting my car ready for spring, I have it in storage right now. Yesterday I went over to try and get some things accomplished on it. I put a new TPS on it and a new wiring connector for the IAC. I figured just for the hell of it, I would pressure test the cooling system. I had smelled coolant around/near the alternator after running it for about 15 mins. I've never had any problems with it overheating or anything. I pumped it to 20 psi, and let it sit while I was doing the wiring and tps. After about 20 mins, I took a glance at it, and it was down to 18-19 psi. Now, it is somewhat dark in the unit it's in. So, I couldn't really see any leaks, or any coolant under the car. Is there anywhere common on the passenger side of the motor near the front where it could be leaking, that I could be missing? I don't think it's the water pump. I'm thinking maybe a heater hose or something over there coming from the core? I'm really hoping it's not a head gasket gone bad, but if so, it is what it is. Any insight? Ideas on where to look? Normally I would assume it was a head gasket, but I did smell coolant on the passenger side when I shut it down. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the exhaust as far as smell or color. There was a little faint white smoke from the exhaust on start up, but it went away after running for a minute or two (It had been sitting for about a month unstarted, I'm assuming it was due to moisture in the exhaust from sitting?) I am taking to car out tomorrow and taking it to a trans shop to get it rebuilt. Just wondering if there is anything I could check quick before I take it down. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LT1s run at 18psi. Anything over it and the radiator cap should relieve the pressure into the overflow tank. Pressurizing it to 20psi probably purged some of the coolant out.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
LT1s run at 18psi. Anything over it and the radiator cap should relieve the pressure into the overflow tank. Pressurizing it to 20psi probably purged some of the coolant out.
That's what I was thinking originally. Hopefully that's the case. Just wanted some people familiar with the LT1 and the cooling system to assure me. Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant leak?