LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Milky Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milky Oil

So I have not really paid much attention too my car for the last couple years so I figured I would last weekend and this weekend....I ran it for the first time since october last week and it ran great nothing out of the ordinary...checked the oil today while I was cleaning the engine bay it looked milky on the stick so I drained the filter and pan it the oil looked real milky...Car runs fine, no smoke at all, does not overheat and the coolant has not dropped since 2009 and it was clean as a whistle...my garage is heated but the temp in it still fluctuates depending on how cold it is outside that day. Has anyone seen this? Im hoping its just moisture because of how long it sat without running, I maybe put 500 easy cruising miles on it last year and this oil probably only had 100 on it before I put it away...has anyone seen this or had this happen too thier car? any imput is appreciated...Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had milky oil at the tops of the valvecovers but never in the pan from condensation.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

i have too but right now i didnt have any when i pulled my valve covers
Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

you should do a pressure test of the cooling system. This might help you determin if you have an issue or not. I would not run the car untill you get this figured out, coolant will wipe out the bearings very easy
Old 03-20-2011, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

i pressure tested it last year and it was ok, i changed the oil today and ran it for about a half hour and it was good, oil stayed clean and car ran fine...has not lost any coolant in the last 2 years, and when i pull the cap off the radiatior no bubbles or anything, so im thinking it was just alot of moisture from sitting 6 months.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of condensate will fill the crankcase in 6 months. Just change the oil and see what happens then.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

thats what i did, so far its ok. I mean it aint using any coolant so Im hoping its just condensation
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Just keep a close eye on the oil, also the pressure test wouldn't be a bad idea
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

same thing has just happened to me today, i go out and uncover the car and check over things nice i put it away last fall, when i put it away i know the oil was fine. Today i put lts, new wires and plugs in and deleted air and egr and checked all fluids and the oil was kind of milky, im hoping a simple oil change will put my mind at ease
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Alot of condensate will fill the crankcase in 6 months. Just change the oil and see what happens then.
agreed^^
Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Go On 3
same thing has just happened to me today, i go out and uncover the car and check over things nice i put it away last fall, when i put it away i know the oil was fine. Today i put lts, new wires and plugs in and deleted air and egr and checked all fluids and the oil was kind of milky, im hoping a simple oil change will put my mind at ease

yea this happens too me about every spring after the car sits, I dunno what it is but I think my garage is super humid and than that first initial start up it mixes all the condensation with the oil and it freaks me out.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Count me in too guys. Just started messing with my car that has been sitting since October, and oil looked terrible. Looked like mud. I'm glad I didn't drive it any. I just started it up a few times this winter, and it must have gotten a ton on condensation in it. I hope everything is okay. I know it doesn't have a head gasket problem, but I'll check it anyway. Just pulled the engine today, out the bottom. It was pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Milky Oil