LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SES light....HELLLLLP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light....HELLLLLP

OK, I just bought a 94 25th anniversary TA.. needs alittle work. service engine soon light was on and the owner said someone bypassed the cooling fan so its on all the time but it made the SES light go on when he did it.... The weird thing is I bought an OBD 1 scanner to fix th eproblem and when I plug in the scanner, the SES light doesnt flash at all. The only thing that does happen is the electric fan goes on. The second I unplug the scanner the fan goes off.........So I cant read any codes.. The cars wiring looks to be unmolested so I dont think the guy just started spicing like a madman.....Can anybody help me out. Thanks alot
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

And also I'm reading that some people are bypassing the switch on their fans to run all the time. Why would someone do that?? My car runs real good and stays at 180-190 all the time. If somebody has the info on how to do this, maybe I can look if the previous owner did it. Maybe I can undo it to see if it fixes the SES light thing.....Thanks again
Old 03-24-2011, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I think I remember the guy saying that the low coolant light was on even though it was full so one of his friends bypassed it somwhow and ever since he did it the SES light came on..
Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You cannot flash codes on a 1994. You need a real scanner.

People wire their fans on all the time because they don't know any better.

Low coolant light has nothing to do with the PCM and trouble codes.

Sounds like you have a lot of learning to do about your new car.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

I had a problem with the low coolant light when a shop put a larger aftermarket radiator in my 93 Camaro. The low coolant light stayed on full time even though the tried replacing the low coolant sensor and the guy ended up cutting some diode out of the harness that went to that sensor and disabled it but it did not trigger the ses light. I don't know if eliminating that diode is why he was able to disable the low coolant light without triggering the ses but maybe someone else on here knows more about the wiring and can answer that.