LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Backfire Pop

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Backfire Pop

I have a 95 z28 with LT1 in it. When it is idling it will pop and backfire, it will also do it if you rev it up and hold it at about 2,000-3,000 RPM in neutral. It seems to run fine when driving it down the road no backfire or pop at any RPM except when I go to stop and push the clutch in and take the strain off of the motor and it will start backfiring and popping again. It has brand new plugs, plug wires, opti spark. What could this be?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Check for crossed wires, burnt wires. what did you gap the plugs at? Did it do this before you installed the plugs?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

I am not sure. I bought the car from another guy and it was already doing it when I bought it. He said he put all that stuff on it new, it all looks new so I am just assuming that he is telling the truth and did put all that stuff on it new.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

The car has mid tube headers with full exhaust, no converters and flowmaster muffler and has the stock tune, will this exhaust setup have enough effect on it to make it do this without being retuned? Also it usually idles around 900 rpms when I am stopped and when I am driving it down the road and push the clutch in to get ready to stop it starts idling around 1500 rpms until I stop completely and then it goes down to about 900 rpms. With the idle being so high and it doing this popping through the exhaust it makes me think that it is running to lean. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: LT1 Backfire Pop