LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

made a few changes = starting issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default made a few changes = starting issues?

Ok, I have had my car for a grand total of about 8 weeks plus or minus a few days and it ran fine. Now, like any other man, I could not leave well enough alone and now it is hard to start.

I swapped the a4 for a m6 and put a fresh 355 in. I also put 1.6rr , long tube headers, ory and magnaflow cat back on it. it has also had the egr deleted and the coolant bypass done.

The problem I am having is on a cold start it will start just fine, after that, it acts like a carbed motor having to give gas to start. when it does start, it is loaded up with fuel and runs ruff for just a second then smooths out and runs great. there is also a very strong smell of gas in the exhaust after start up.

I have swapped the ecu, injectors,fuel pressure reg. and fuel filter and it has made no difference. It acts like it is not getting enough air or spark.

The car runs very well once it is started!

any ideas?????
Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Teching In

You probly need a tune or i would check the opti .. Do you have a msd box on it as well... If so try to by pass it to see if it makes a diffrence ..I had the same problem with my car when i had a lt1.. I rip it apart so many times that i just went for a ls1 but check you opti ...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Check the coolant temp sensor!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I think that's what its called. Its near or on the water pump. Only like 15 bucks. Seams to cause alot of similar problems for people. Also might be o2 sensors?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Teching In

No MSD the water pump was new along with the temp sensor off of the old motor. I put them on the new motor. as for the o2 sensors, i am running the two front ones but not the back ones. there have been no codes thrown as of yet and i have about 100 miles on it since the swap.

the opti looks really good but thats not to say it is bad or going bad. how do you diagnose a failing opti?

a tune may very well be in order.

Quick Reply: made a few changes = starting issues?