LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crankshaft hub

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft hub

I'm wondering if I'm sane! Don't answer that, it's not the question.

My 95 LT1's crank hub, the thing that holds the balancer, is not keyed. The balancer (SFI) only goes on the hub one way, and the outer edge has degree marks like a regular balancer. So, what's the use? Does it just go on in any position?

The hub crushed the key into the timing chain sprocket, had a hell of a time getting the sprocket off. I'm assuming it was the wrong key? Need to replace the crank sprocket and chain, cam sprocket looks good. Looked up a timing set and had cardiac arrest!

Al
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
I'm wondering if I'm sane! Don't answer that, it's not the question.

My 95 LT1's crank hub, the thing that holds the balancer, is not keyed. The balancer (SFI) only goes on the hub one way, and the outer edge has degree marks like a regular balancer. So, what's the use? Does it just go on in any position?

The hub crushed the key into the timing chain sprocket, had a hell of a time getting the sprocket off. I'm assuming it was the wrong key? Need to replace the crank sprocket and chain, cam sprocket looks good. Looked up a timing set and had cardiac arrest!

Al
The stock crank hub is not keyed - no sweat. It is neutrally balanced. With a newer hub that IS keyed, I would use it.

What kind of waterpump setup are you running? If you convert to an electric pump, you can run just about any SBC timing chain, including double rollers like the Cloyes 3145.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

96+ have a partial key used to drive the timing set and reluctor ring.

The 93-95 key is smaller and only drives the timing set.

The hub itself should not be able to touch that key.
Since it's neutral, it can be installed in any position even if the crank pulley only installs on the hub one way.
So yes, the timing marks are pretty much useless in this case.

If you build a motor and have a full key installed in the crank, you can use it to keep the balancer
lined up and it's timing marks will be useful. I use this for adjusting rockers, it's nice to have.

This is similar to what I did http://www.go-fast.org/z28/damper.html
(I've been using Dave's site as a reference tool for years, it's good reading)

Quick Reply: Crankshaft hub