LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine holding back

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011 | 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Engine holding back

Today I was driving with my friend and his 93' Cammed TA, anyways we take off spiritually, I ran up the RPMS to the redline then we stopped at this place to chat a little. When we left I got back on the road to go home, and the engine just pauses and goes nowhere when you give it gas, then in about a second or two it catches itself and takes off. Happens at every RPM range, didnt try 4k or above though. Did i possibly throw the opti or something out when i took the revs up? Also i noticed when i let off the gas it backfires alot, i can hear it up by the headers when i let off around 3k.
I had this problem a few weeks ago and i thought the MAF took on water, one day driving it just cleared up so i thought it dried out. I did wash it today, however there was no water in the filter. No SES light is on either
Old 04-15-2011 | 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does thus too. Does it feel like the car has to "spool" then it takes off?
Old 04-15-2011 | 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

That sounds like my car before I did a spark plug/spark plug wire change...
Old 04-15-2011 | 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well looked at it today in the daytime (sucks when the problem starts at night and you cant check it) and number 5 spark plug wire boot was being burned by the header. I checked the wire and theres no bare wire yet, im guessing that was the problem, hopefully i got to the wire in time, i ordered boot protectors off jegs.
Would that cause it to lag and go lag and go like it was last night?
Old 04-15-2011 | 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Well looked at it today in the daytime (sucks when the problem starts at night and you cant check it) and number 5 spark plug wire boot was being burned by the header. I checked the wire and theres no bare wire yet, im guessing that was the problem, hopefully i got to the wire in time, i ordered boot protectors off jegs.
Would that cause it to lag and go lag and go like it was last night?
I would think a bad wire would cause more extensive issues then "lag" it sounds like you might be running rich/lean. and when the engine starts to spin up it just burns the mixture more easily.
Old 04-15-2011 | 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

clean the MAF and ya the wire needs to be changed
Old 04-20-2011 | 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

definitely...When My Spark plug wires were arcing(#4 and#6) it would run okay if i didn't get on it..but once i slammed the accelerator to the ground the whole car stalled(im talking bout interior lights shutting off, headlights turning off, etc.) but then within 2 seconds it would regain all power and go