LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

DTC code 43 after filling up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC code 43 after filling up...

Filled up, as i was leaving a cool guy in an eclipse pulled in and trew a rev i threw a rev back but he stoped to fill up and just knoded his head. So I decided to let her rip through 1st & 2nd on the way out, after I look down SES light is on. code 43 knock sensor.

I havnt looked into it any further but could it be bad gas or what do you guys think?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

When I had that code, I had a bad knock sensor. I put a new one in and code went away. You can test them with a multimeter before you pull them out. I think the testing info is on shbox.com.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fortunately the KS circuit is pretty easy to diagnose.

You should have ~5v between the knock sensor connector and ground with the key on engine off.

-If you have 0v, the wire is either broken somewhere and/or shorted to ground.
-If you have less than 5v (but more than 0), probe PCM connector D496. If you get voltage, then the wire is shorted to 12v somewhere or in the more unlikely scenario, your PCM is bad.
-If you have 5v, measure the resistance between the knock sensor terminal and ground. It should be between 3300-4500 ohms. If it is, the knock sensor, knock sensor module, or (unlikely) the PCM, is bad. If it isn't within that range, then the knock sensor is improperly installed (NO sealant is to be put on the threads. It can inhibit how it picks up knock and will provide a poor ground) or it's faulty.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks RamAir95TA. followed exactly what you said and it ended up being a bad knock sensor. Replaced it and all is well. Thanks a bunch both you guys.

Quick Reply: DTC code 43 after filling up...