LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another opti down. How can I get rid of it

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011 | 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another opti down. How can I get rid of it

What can I do to get rid of my opti. I've put 2 on in the last 3000kms.
I'd like coil per cylinder but I dont want a pile of wires under my hood.

What options do I have.
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/coilpack.htm

LTCC is probably the easiest kit I've seen to do a LS style coiil setup, and probably the best bang for your buck. The only issue I have with the Bailey Engineering setup, is the fact that the optispark is not removed, and still has to be working. If you're really serious about it, do a search, there's tons of info on here reguarding opti delete.

Last edited by 09jyounger; 04-19-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:27 AM
On The Tree

First I would be trying to figure out why you are going through so many opti's before you start messing with the ignition system.
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95chevyz28
First I would be trying to figure out why you are going through so many opti's before you start messing with the ignition system.
First one was stock high miles with new msd cap and rotor. Second one was no name. I assume I would not be replacing it so soon if I bought another gm unit.
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:35 AM
On The Tree

If your trying to eliminate the opti completely, then go with the efi kit. I would just get another oem opti, locktite the rotor screws, and you should be good to go for a long time...just my .02
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

I just did some testing and I have spark coming out the coil but no spark out the plug wires.
So I think the rotor came off again. From what I've read the opti is working but the distributor side of it is not. If the optical side failed I would not have any spark at the coil.
I have a new msd cap and rotor do you think I could install that or is it done.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Is there a thread here about what actually fails in an Optispark? Other than being a bear to R&R are they really that bad?

Al
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fastcars95
I just did some testing and I have spark coming out the coil but no spark out the plug wires.
So I think the rotor came off again. From what I've read the opti is working but the distributor side of it is not. If the optical side failed I would not have any spark at the coil.
I have a new msd cap and rotor do you think I could install that or is it done.
Cap and rotor will probably fix your particular problem. Loctite the rotor screws.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
Cap and rotor will probably fix your particular problem. Loctite the rotor screws.
You dont think everything will be mangled in there. It would be nice to just replace the cap and rotor and re-install it. Its a good days work with a supercharger infront of everything.
I'll start tearing it down tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2011 | 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fastcars95
You dont think everything will be mangled in there. It would be nice to just replace the cap and rotor and re-install it. Its a good days work with a supercharger infront of everything.
I'll start tearing it down tomorrow.
You won't know anything about the condition until you take it apart.
Old 04-24-2011 | 05:52 AM
TECH Regular

I got the car running again. I was surprised that everything looked ok when I took the opti apart. There was some moisture on the back side of the cap but other then that the cap and rotor looked new.
So I was thinking it might be pooched. I put an msd cap and rotor in not expecting any change and it fired. I sealed up the unit real good with silicone and so far so good.
Old 04-24-2011 | 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are still running the no name opti with a msd cap n rotor its only so long before the sensor portion goes caput. If and when it does do not buy a cheap aftermarket opti and get a ac delco (dephi) unit and locktite the rotor screws and be done with it. Eventually the EFI setup will come down in price and most of us will go to that but so damn expensive.

I want to see this beast out in action this year!
Old 04-28-2011 | 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

The car seemed to be running nice until I put my foot down.
I have a sputter when the motor loads up. The power comes on nice in first and second but in the higher gears the power seems weak and you can hear a miss (sputter or pop) out the exhaust.

I think I've got a bad wire or two. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the opti. I ordered a set of 10.4mm taylor wires, taylor boot protectors, and a set of plugs.

I'm thinking of installing a set of long tubes at the same time. How much work is it to install pacesetter longtubes ? I figure its hard enough to change the plugs and wires I might as well do the headers at the same time.
Old 04-28-2011 | 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

pacsetters were no problem going in and specially cause you already have shortys or mids in there it shouldnt be to hard to get them out. biggest pain is putting the bolts in and mounting them by youself. i did both of mine from the top and unbolted the pass motor mount and jacked the motor up and slide right into place.
Old 04-28-2011 | 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

How long did it take you to install the headers

Quick Reply: Another opti down. How can I get rid of it