LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

t56 clutch fork question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 clutch fork question

Please read!

I have gone trough a few clutches since my motor build. After pulling my transmission 5 plus times I wanted to make sure I wanst going to have to do it for a while.

1 year / 2000 miles ago I put in a new spec billet flywheel, spec stage 5 clutch (6 puck)new pilot bearing, and release bearing.

When I pulled the old clutch and installed all my spec stuff, every time the clutch was pushed in, there was a loud metal on metal noise/vibration. Shut the car off, wouldn't start. The clutch being pushed in wasn't fully mechanically disengaging the clutch, so it was like trying to start the car in gear. The release bearing was oval shaped / warped and the clutch disk and pp were all mangled up where they were touching.

A few weeks ago, The exact same issue happened, spec stuff installed, beat the **** out of it on occasion, was holding up fine, and randomly one day in traffic it does the loud metal on metal sound. I come to a stop and my car shuts off and won't start. Again, same as before I am almost positive that my release bearing is warped just like my last clutch. But what is the cause?

I have a borg warner t56 with the external slabve that uses a clutch fork instead of having an internal slave. the only possible thing I can think of is that my clutch fork is the cause of my problems. Soooo I guess I'm about to pull my tranny again And check it out but let me know what you guys think. I'd there anything I'm not thinking of that can sparatically cause my clutch to not be disengaging when pressed in?

Ideas / suggestions?

Quick Reply: t56 clutch fork question