LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle problem. Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Idle problem. Help

Ok, so I think I have confused my self here. 383 with BBk 52mmTB. So I am trying to set up this idle. I have the set screw on the TB backed all the way off to the point where this TB is sticking at closed a bit. If I open it and let the return spring pull it back it idles a bit high even if I adjust the TPS. I have not modded the tb at all. TPS is backed off as far as I can get it and I did mod the TPS so I can adjust it. If I pull the Throttle back manually to the sticking point and the TPS voltage is .035 I got a good idle out of it. It really does not matter if I set the TPS V up to .63 or what ever it does about the same with idle. Bounces between 850 to 950 but stays close to 875 to 900. If I blip the Throttle then the blades don't close as far and I end up with a 1000 to 1100 idle and the TPS open % is 2.5 and the voltage is .41. Again does not matter if I set it to .63 it makes no difference. Originally I was getting a IAC POS of 94 when I manually closed the TB blades and 97 if I let the throttle settle back on it's own. I then decided to stop the data log for some stupid reason and then unplugged the IAC connection and let it idle. It was at about 1000rpms on the tach and then I plugged it back in with the car running still and then started a new data log. After I did that I noticed that it went to 0 when idling with me manually closing the tb blades and then to about 2 when I let the throttle settle on it's own. Besides the idle going back to doing what it was doing before I unplugged the IAC plug and plugged it back in there was no change in the Idle patterns. What am I missing? I am going to pull the TB and inspect it but before I do is there something I should try? The tb seems to want to blades open more so it will close with out sticking, but if I do that and set the TPS V I just get a higher idle of about 1200rpms. I have been looking around the intake and can't seem to see any vacume leaks. I even sprayed some brake cleaner around the TB and no change in idle. What should I be looking at? I have lost my self in frustration with this thing after spending 2 months getting the engine back together. I can't imagine these intake gaskets are leaking because I bought 2 sets of the good felpro's and used the first set to make sure this intake is sealing by using some ARP thread lube on the gaskets (since it tends not to stick to the surfaces but stays on the gaskets) and torque them down to make sure I have full contact around the entire intake and head sealing surfaces on each port. The test worked good since I opened up the bolt holes in the intake, I had good contact and spreading and even thining of the ARP thread lube on the surfaces. So what else can I do here besides ditch this BBK and go back to the stocker. I have the data logs made in data master if you want to look at them. Just need to PM me an E-mail address. Thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was having similar problems with my bbk 58mm and what it finally took was to take out the butterflys and lightly sand them. They for some reson were catching the sides on the return....that might not help at all but.......but when u say sticking that is what mine was doing
Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boughtitdone
i was having similar problems with my bbk 58mm and what it finally took was to take out the butterflys and lightly sand them. They for some reson were catching the sides on the return....that might not help at all but.......but when u say sticking that is what mine was doing
Thanks man I am going to pull it and check it over
Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopfully that helps i did the same thing you are doing for months before i checked the simple things
Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Leaking TB gasket on the bottom side. Unreal. Set the set screw back out and started and shut it off a couple of times so the pcm would reset 0% on the TPS and now the idel is good at 875 to 900, the IAC POS is at 41 no holes drilled, The tps is at .41 Volts and a frucken radiator hose let go due to a failed clamp when I was test driving it lol This car is cursed and I am now going to sell it. first 4k can have it. I am so over this ****. Get it dead nutz on and then on to the next major bull ****. I will clean it up sunday afternoon refill it and test it again and if it's good it's up for sale along with every spare part in my garage including the original 100k mile LT1

Quick Reply: Idle problem. Help