LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3k+ rpm on the scanner with the engine off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3k+ rpm on the scanner with the engine off?

been through a bunch of bs trying to figure out why my car wouldnt start. there was no pulsing grounds at the injectors, replaced the opti which fixed this. there was no/intermittent spark, replaced the coil which fixed this. the engine will crank all day but wont start, and it has fired back out the intake a few times.

So we trailered it to my uncles and put the scanner on it, with key on/engine off, it says that its doing thousands of rpm's... he said this could be the crank position sensor? and that it would be a good idea to replace the icm with the recient ignition problems (dont want a less than good icm to burn up the new coil)

What do you guys think?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Make that 132 thousand rpm, cleaned up the cps and put a new icm on, now it shows 132k rpm when you first turn the key but they do down to the hundreds when you crank it. But still no fire
Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

u may not beleive this but some scanners will show like 3166 rpm or so with the motor not running...........my lt1 edit scanner said the target idle was 3166rpm untill i fired it up then it came down to where it should be........fwiw
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

sounds dumb but have u disconnected the battery for a little bit and then hook it back up? i had a similar problem when i first started messing with my tune

Quick Reply: 3k+ rpm on the scanner with the engine off?