LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running rich need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich need help!!

Okay my car is a 96 Z28 with 75k miles. Only things done to the car are catback exhaust, intake, MSD opti and wires, and 160 deg thermostat.

My check engine light has come on, so i brought it to autozone to have the code read. The guy tells me its running rich and the little programmer says faulty mass air flow sensor.

Now..besides the light the car was runnning fine, so i didnt rush to fix it. From what ive read, when MAF go bad the car usually runs like crap.

Today i took my finger and ran it on the inside of my exhaust pipe. it was moist and full of black stuff.

Any opinions?? Is this a bad MAF??
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The inside of exhaust tips are always black and full of wetness...it's exhaust, so don't let that bother you.

What was the specific numerical code that the guy pulled? That will help tremendously.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Im currently studying for a final...but when i get home ill put it on here.

I mean..besides the light this thing drives wonderful. I pulled a 13.9 @ 100mph my frist trip to the track the other day.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Hey just a follow up!!
I went ahead and replaced the MAF and it fixed the problem after i disconnected the battery and allowed the car to reset itself.

For future references...if anyone thinks they have the same problem, what you can do is disconnect the battery and wait about 15 sec. Reconnect the battery and try to start your car. If the car doesnt start and just kills, then try and start it again. If the second time it starts up but your service engine light comes on then its prob MAF.
Your car wont allow it to start the first time im guessing cause its getting no MAF reading, then the car decides to start but runs in a safe mode "rich" and throws a code.

Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Running rich need help!!