LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Throttle Body and SLP CAI issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body and SLP CAI issues

So I was going to install my decorative throttle body plate and my SLP CAI intake. Should be a 15-minute job, right? Wrong

First issue: I removed the stock throttle body plate, and figured we would just go get another gasket at AutoZone, but they didn't have it. So when I figured screw it and put the old one back on, it had somehow stretched itself over the course of four hours. It's now way too large to fit over the opening, so now I definitely need a new one. I found these real quick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...item5643b3aaa7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-T...item588dae0b74

Which one should I use?

Second: I bought a throttle body airfoil, but that install isn't seeming very easy either. If you look at the picture, I'm holding the airfoil in place where it's supposed to be:

First of all, there's a bolt that came with it, and there's a hole where the bolt is supposed to go, but there's no hole in the throttle body to bolt the airfoil to. How does it go in? Also, when the airfoil is in place, air is no longer allowed to go into the top portion of the throttle body, where there's a vent hose that goes to the passenger-side valve cover. Will it make any difference if that's covered up?

My next issue came when I was trying to install my SLP Cold Air Intake. What do you guys use to connect the MAF housing to the tubes? the diameter of the housing is smaller than the diameter of the rest of the intake.

Answers to any of these questions ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMFAO good ol LT1s. i jump in this sextion after not looiking for a looooong time and what do i find? a MIFbody member lol. the airfoil is the correct one. just have to find the right bolt. i never had any issues with the tube. just cap it off. and the MAF seems like you might just need to run a reducer on the CAI to fit the MAF GL
Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

The first link you posted is what you need. The airfoil will pull air from the little slot where you had your finger at in the pic. To install the slp intake get a silicone hose reducer from fleabay...should 3.5"-3" should be right I think.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have it installed correctly and you should have with the foil 3 things - the foil, a long screw and a half cylinder looking nut. The half cylinder nut (for the screw) goes in from top (under the plate you have off) and the bolt goes thru the throttle body (where the hole is now - on top) and screws into the cylinder looking nut. If you see from the bottom there is a recession for the IAC passage to get air (under you finger) and as to the gasket I had to go get one from the dealer (5 bux I think) a few weeks ago as you can't find those anywhere.

I used to have one of those ages ago, but don't need it anymore as my car has had a BBK 58mm for 10 years now.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

ok I just called TPiS, and they're sending me the nut to install the airfoil. As for the CAI, where else could I get a reducer like that? Is that something they'd just have at a hardware store or something?

Quick Reply: Throttle Body and SLP CAI issues