LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low voltage causing a stumble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low voltage causing a stumble?

Ok guys awhile ago I put on an underdriven alternator pulley to keep my voltage up in conjunction with the underdrive crank pulley that was on the car when I purchased it. The voltage ( on the dash gauge) was reading a little over the first slash so I'm guessing around 11.5- 12 volts. I recently installed an Msd 6al2 using the Msd coil harness to simplify the install. Now sometimes the cars voltage at idle dips below that slash and almost reaches the red section on the voltage gauge. I've also been noticing a shuttering when cruising under partial throttle, almost like a miss. Is my battery on it's way out or should I ditch the whole under drive setup and run the stock balancer and alternator pulley instead of the piggyback crank pulley. Or should I unplug the msd box and see of the problem persists.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

the msd will run down to around 10 volts so idk if thats it......also the ecm needs about the same to run...........so im not sure if thats your issue......
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

Ok ill have to check else where it seems that it started after the Msd box install, maybe a fluke though
Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had voltage issues with an underdrive pulley kit, but turned out my junction block (the red box on passangers side) was so corroded and rusted, once I replaced that I had full power and no voltage issues, also my hvac fan actually ran way faster as well. Just something you may want to check out. I know when my voltage dropped the car would not run well, if i gunned it it would backfire real bad after letting off throttle

I know you are running an MSD box, im not sure how much juice that takes to operate, but i would check the voltage coming from your alternator wire with a multimeter and also could be a weak battery.

I wouldnt say your underdrive kit is causing you issues, my car is fine now, it just turned out to be something else that was a weak link.

Last edited by 96blackz28; 05-25-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96blackz28

I know you are running an MSD box, im not sure how much juice that takes to operate, but i would check the voltage coming from your alternator wire with a multimeter and also could be a weak battery.
One thing for sure, it's not a weak battery symptom. If the battery is starting the car, and if it really has low voltage, it's a charging system problem.

Al 95 Z28
Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Have anyway to get a multimeter? If so id go ahead and start some voltage drop testing on the alternator, fuse box, etc.. just go along and use process of elimination
Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Ok guys I'll check everything with the multimeter. Would low voltage like that cause a shudder when driving though?

Quick Reply: Low voltage causing a stumble?