LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 removal Help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 removal Help please

Ok ive read that it is easier to remove the engine via the bottom, but after looking at the pics of how high the front end has to be in the air and knowing i have a son and a couple dogs(horses) that are in my garage a lot, not sure I want to leave my car up like that for any time, or at all. Sorry about the run on sentence. Can someone tell me where i can find a good step by step process of removing the engine via the top. Im ok with buying a happy hooker. Any advice would be welcomed, that engine compartment is a nightmare.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

Through the bottom is VERY safe. Once the motor is out you can lower the car back onto jackstands like normal. I've sat on the car while it was up in the air, even pushed on it, and it won't move. You'll thank yourself for going out the bottom.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have pulled it through the top a couple of times. but after i seen a friend pull it through the bottom, man is it way easier to put all the accessories on with the engine out of the car.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have done it both ways. Hell I have even pulled it of the top with the hood still on, yep mad skillz lol. If I do it nowadays it is definitley out the bottom.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done it out the bottom (6 or 7 times) and I have pulled it from the top (2 times)

The way I feel about it is....
when I have access to a lift I take it all out from the bottom....

When I don't have access to a lift and do it in my garage I like taking it out the top..
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

I need it off the ground by what 3 feet? Do I have to pull out the tranny too, or will it be a lot harder to leave it in?
I dont have a lift, was going to buy a used cherry picker.

Ok it still scares the **** out of me, but ill give it a go Wish me luck

Thank you for the step by step instructions.

Last edited by Shakerz1313; 06-01-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Mine sat like that for a year on jack stands with me getting in an out of it and kids playing around it. Never had a problem. Seemed very stable to me. I took the tranny out with the motor. It was easier than disconnecting it.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Btw I didn't use the lift. I used a fork lift to lift the front o the car and rolled the k-member out. I would say about 3 feet was how high we had it.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
I have done it out the bottom (6 or 7 times) and I have pulled it from the top (2 times)

The way I feel about it is....
when I have access to a lift I take it all out from the bottom....

When I don't have access to a lift and do it in my garage I like taking it out the top..
why the hell did you take your motor out 9 times?? you are nuts.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by food nd cars
why the hell did you take your motor out 9 times?? you are nuts.
My guess is to add more horses
Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The one and only thing that sucks about out the bottom is putting the front suspension back in (especially with the engine and/or engine and transmission attached) is lining up the shock studs. That was a big time PTIA.

Other than that, out the bottom ftw. You can put the front suspension back on while the engine is out of the car and put it back on the ground. Also regardless of you taking it out through the bottom or the top I think it's a bit dangerous to have kids and/or animals running around, for you and for them. In either case you're going to have heavy and sharp parts everywhere all over the garage.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

ive always done it through the top with hood still on an trans attached did it onces thru the bottom and never again, recently used a happy hooker from tpis to pull a friends motor and WOW it was easy.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

all i removed was the headers and accessory bracket and accessories, left the water pump on and opti and removed the balancer not the hub. left the ac compressor hang, removed only the radiator. I left the trans connected to the engine, even the trans cross member was left bolted to the trans. removed the headers and motor mounts removed the fuel lines and rail and bolted on the happy hooker and pulled it out. putting the motor and trans in as one piece took no time at all, it all fell right into place was very surprised. ive normally just pulled the intake an used a short chain to pull a motor and trans as one piece and install it. but the happy hooker allowed me to leave the engine more together and give me more room. i have pics somewhere, ive pulled and installed motors thru the top in at least 7 fbodys, mine has been thru 3 motors now (not from blowing up just modding)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks . Im still not sure how i want to go about it, but at least I got a couple different ways to look at it now.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Teching In

I pulled mine from the top but I pulled the accessories and the heads first. It was fairly simple minus the bellhousing bolts and the time it cost to disassemble. But I did a total rebuild so I had to pull everything regardless. I found it to be safe too. Good luck with your project...

Quick Reply: Lt1 removal Help please