LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help my car has a weird squeak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my car has a weird squeak!

Alright for some time now my rear driverside wheel has been making this horrific squeak noise when i turn left hard... when i drive it normal it seems to be fine but when racing around a corner it does it... BUT as soon as i touch the brakes it goes away? i have no idea what it could be, i know i do need rear pads but not bad enough where it would hit the squeak thing and wouldnt that only happen when i was ON the breaks not off them? the sound its not quiet either its quite loud! any input is greatly appreciated Thanks!

Oh and sorry if this is in the wrong forum its the only LT1 one i found scanning it
Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Wear indicator tab, probably. It just touches the rotor face when the brake isn't applied. It sings that song as a warning. Applying the brakes dampens the sound by putting sound-absorbent friction material on the rotor.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

haha figures its ok though my cars gettin a full break job this weekend!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The wear indicator, like the pads, have the tiniest amount of drag on the rotor. When the height of the friction material becomes even with the wear tab (somewhere around 15% left) it will also kiss the rotor. It's like putting a needle on a record to read and amplify the grooves in the face of the rotor. Same thing happens with the face of the pad itself under some conditions if the rotor isn't cut and surfaced properly when a brake job is done.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Launching!

had the same problem for about 3 months after i put new (cheap) rotors and ceramic pads on. went away after they wore in for awhile. i think gojira94 is spot on with this one