LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

"Service Engine Soon" Light on!!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service Engine Soon" Light on!!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem?

I have a "service engine soon" light on on my dash. The light will only come on after the engine is warm. The trouble code is #26 which is quad driver #1 of the ECM. Quad driver #1 controles the air pump relay, EGR solinoid, and the Evap. solinoid.

The light is off when I first start up in the morning and doesn't come on until I am almost to work, about 12-14 miles from home.

I have kind of gone through the basics, but Is there any known common problems with a 93 Z28 that I should look at?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never happend on mine, but then again I deleted that ****.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Never happend on mine, but then again I deleted that ****.
Here in California we have to pass a emissinos test every two years, so I can't really eliminate these things as they are part of the emissions system.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You can:

1) pull the fuse for the AIR system. If the SES light comes on immediately from a cold start you can likely rule out the AIR system. It only comes on and runs for the first few minutes to get the cat(s) up to operating temperature.

2) EVAP solenoid: you'd probably have a "purge solenoid circuit" code accompanying the quad driver code. Not likely, but possible.

3) EGR solenoid. My vote is a problem somewhere in EGR. A good overview of EGR operation can be found here: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_EGR.html. Since, as the article states, EGR mostly operates while cruising, it's probably the most likely of the three possibilities.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gojira94
You can:

1) pull the fuse for the AIR system. If the SES light comes on immediately from a cold start you can likely rule out the AIR system. It only comes on and runs for the first few minutes to get the cat(s) up to operating temperature.

2) EVAP solenoid: you'd probably have a "purge solenoid circuit" code accompanying the quad driver code. Not likely, but possible.

3) EGR solenoid. My vote is a problem somewhere in EGR. A good overview of EGR operation can be found here: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_EGR.html. Since, as the article states, EGR mostly operates while cruising, it's probably the most likely of the three possibilities.
Thank you for your insight and the information! I should have time to work on it again this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again Gojira!
Dennis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Service Engine Soon" Light on!!