LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High Mileage Cam?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage Cam?

Age old inquiry, I know. But here's my story. It's an LT1 with 180000 on the dot, oil has been changed with mobile 1(only) religiously, I recently changed the oil pan and gasket and the Interior looked so clean you could eat off it. But a week ago I was over the limit and needed a DD, so I asked my brother in law to drive. He didn't know how to drive a stick and hit the rev limited like there was no tomorrow. So I now have a bent push rod. When I removed the valve covers to watch it run, oil was flowing down each rocker like the Nile river.

I have a mild cam I've been sitting on for about three years and I'm dying to slap it in there. Any thoughts on replacing cam, crank bearings, piston rings ect. before I do so. Check the sig for current mods. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatbird
Age old inquiry, I know. But here's my story. It's an LT1 with 180000 on the dot, oil has been changed with mobile 1(only) religiously, I recently changed the oil pan and gasket and the Interior looked so clean you could eat off it. But a week ago I was over the limit and needed a DD, so I asked my brother in law to drive. He didn't know how to drive a stick and hit the rev limited like there was no tomorrow. So I now have a bent push rod. When I removed the valve covers to watch it run, oil was flowing down each rocker like the Nile river.

I have a mild cam I've been sitting on for about three years and I'm dying to slap it in there. Any thoughts on replacing cam, crank bearings, piston rings ect. before I do so. Check the sig for current mods. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody
Thus why NO ONE drives my car. Sorry to hear that happened. Hopefully tho you learned your lesson lol

If he really over revved it to the point of bending a pushrod, id be very concerned about the state of the bottom end. Especially with 180k miles. The connecting rod bolts are weak from factory and known to fail at high rpms. When you strip down the engine, itll be worth it to do a full rebuild on the bottom end. You dont have to go crazy. You can probably get away with reconditioning most of the bottom end (if there in good shape still)

Oil pump, bearings, all studs/bolts along with gaskets will most likely need to be replaced. and no offense, but youd be stupid Not to if you go that far! GL
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None taken, it's just that I'm an engineering major so I don't work much. So I'm trying to save as much change, and time, as possible. Actually, I have an order saved from summit that has everything you just suggested plus piston rings. originally I thought I had spun a cam bearing and I was going to do a complete overhaul.

I was thinking of doing a compression check, and if that checked out, id do bearings and gaskets. You'd suggest doing the studs as well. Im highly mechanically inclined, but this is new territory for me and I want to do it right. After all, there is only two ways to do anything, the right way and the wrong way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Mileage Cam?