LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car running rich

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running rich

I thought the car was running rich, as I was in back of the car while it was running and the exhaust made my eyes water, so I hooked up the car to the computer and looking at freescan, I saw the water temp was 84 degrees, when it was 99 degrees outside and my temp gauge was at 180 ish. My iat temp was at 52 degrees. All other parameters looked good in freescan. I checked the wires to both the iat and coolant sensor on the water pump, as I lengthened them when I did my ls1 lid modification. To lengthen the wires I used the wiring from another harness I had that went to the same sensors, so all the wiring is the same gauge and color code. I also did NOT solder the wires, just twisted them together and used heat shrink tubing. All 4 wires looked good (2 for the iat and 2 for the coolant sensor), so then I thought that it may be a bad ground with these two sensors. I made a different ground to both the iat and coolant sensors, cut the existing ground wires to both sensors and grounded both wires to the engine block. Warmed the car up, but still had the same results. When I first start the engine, the iat is at 33 degrees and the coolant temp is at 40 degrees. The sensors are working as the do increase. So looking for any ideas or suggestions as to what to try next, so please let me know.

tia

andy schuck
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When it comes to sensors you never want to just twist them together. They need to be soldered and shrink-wrapped. It is possible that the increased resistance is misconstruing your results.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Joe, I thought that soldering them could increase the resistance, as you were adding solder (metal) to the wiring. I'll go back and solder the connections and give a update.

tia

andy schuck
Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a miniscule level the increase in contact area due to the solder gives the signal more avenues to travel. It will take the path of LEAST resistance. If you have them twisted together it might look like a solid connection, but think about how each individual strand of wire connects to each other. Hopefully the soldering fixes your problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that these sensors are very particular to the voltage they like to receive. Even the oils from your fingers that were deposited on the wires when you twisted them is enough to throw them off. I would separate any connections you made, use alcohol to remove any grease or oils, let dry, then solder each connection (don't forget a shrink-wrap tube). If I were a betting man, this is your problem.

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

Above is an excellent link on how to solder. Unlike other processes, practicing how to solder is cheap so I recommend it for an hour or two, at least until you are comfortable.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Boy do I feel dumb, someone told me to check to see if the values are in celsius of farenheit, so I checked and they are in celsius. So 84 degrees celsius is 178 ish. So once again it was a case of incompetent operator on my part. Sorry for the wild goose chase, resume whatever you were doing.

tia

andy schuck

Quick Reply: Car running rich